[Solved] Corrupted Documents...Shadow Explorer?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

[Solved] Corrupted Documents...Shadow Explorer?

Postby I Hate Corruption » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:27 am

So, I saw someone recommend Shadow Explorer to find copies of my document on someone else's topic. Online, it says you should find the day before, but the earliest date I'm seeing is the day that it occurred (which was two days ago). Also, I'm not seeing these documents. I tried saving it under something else, but I'm still not seeing it. Any advice, or should I just give up and rewrite the 3 papers? Thank you.

Edit: Using EaseUS...one of my documents got "recovered", but is now a combination of pound keys and random symbols instead of 5 pages of pound keys. Am I getting somewhere?

Edit 2: I ended up doing an advanced search using EaseUS and was able to find my documents. Shadow Explorer did not work for me, but you guys might have luck with this if you're having the same problem as me and other steps don't work. Good luck!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 4.1 on Windows 8
I Hate Corruption
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Corrupted Documents...Question On Shadow Explorer?

Postby RusselB » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:59 am

Your signature says that you are running Windows.
I, and others, have successfully recovered older versions by using the file explorer that comes with Windows, to locate the current version.
After the file has been located, right click on it and select Restore previous versions.

Since you have already used 3rd party utilities, that I'm not familiar with, I have no idea as to what (if any) changes those utilities have made to your files.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
User avatar
RusselB
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 am
Location: Sarnia, ON

Re: Corrupted Documents...Question On Shadow Explorer?

Postby RoryOF » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:19 am

If you have lost three documents you should remember Lady Bracknell's remark
To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

How much more applicable this is when there are three losses involved.

You need to investigate either the stability of your computer or your method of working with it as I outlined in this posting
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73875#p334502
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
 
Posts: 31722
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Corrupted Documents...Question On Shadow Explorer?

Postby Bill » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:32 pm

I Hate Corruption wrote:So, I saw someone recommend Shadow Explorer to find copies of my document on someone else's topic. Online, it says you should find the day before, but the earliest date I'm seeing is the day that it occurred (which was two days ago). Also, I'm not seeing these documents.

I had mentioned using Shadow Explorer to recover documents in Windows 8, but after testing, find that the recovered documents are corrupt. I've used Shadow Explorer to recover documents in Vista, but there seems to be a compatibility issue with Windows 8.

I Hate Corruption wrote:I tried saving it under something else, but I'm still not seeing it. Any advice, or should I just give up and rewrite the 3 papers? Thank you.

If you don't have a true backup, then that may be your only option.

I Hate Corruption wrote:Edit: Using EaseUS...one of my documents got "recovered", but is now a combination of pound keys and random symbols instead of 5 pages of pound keys. Am I getting somewhere?

I'm not familiar with EaseUS.

RusselB wrote:Your signature says that you are running Windows.
I, and others, have successfully recovered older versions by using the file explorer that comes with Windows, to locate the current version.
After the file has been located, right click on it and select Restore previous versions.

That's not an option in Windows 8. "Restore previous versions" is only in Vista and Windows 7. It was removed from Windows 8 and replaced with File History which saves versions of files on a separate drive.
AOO 4.1.7 on Manjaro Cinnamon
Bill
Volunteer
 
Posts: 8002
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:48 am

Re: Corrupted Documents...Question On Shadow Explorer?

Postby I Hate Corruption » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:10 pm

Well, I did an advanced scan and used Easeus, and I found uncorrupted versions after the fact...so for anyone that's reading this, it might be an option. The free version worked find for my needs.

Thanks for the help, by the way! :)
Open Office 4.1 on Windows 8
I Hate Corruption
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:18 am


Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests