Opening, saving, and closing files is slow

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Blaziken_rjcf

Opening, saving, and closing files is slow

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

Like it says in the title, opening and saving files is slow. I'm using Windows 8.1 and Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1.
I think this started when I upgraded my computer (every piece of hardware but the HDD, and installed Windows 8.1 to replace Windows 7), but I'm not 100% sure.
It doesn't matter if the file is a few MB big or just a few KB; the saving time is always around 7 seconds (then 3 more for it to close). The splash screen loading bar fills up instantly, yet it still takes five or so seconds to actually open the file.
The files I use the most are stored on an external HDD, but files stored on the internal HDD take the same amount of time to open, save, and close.
I've reset my user profile several times, repaired and reinstalled Apache OpenOffice (in that order), removed file index settings from the folder with the files, as well as OpenOffice's folders, created new files on the external and internal HDD's to test OSC (opening, saving, and closing) times, disconnected from the Internet (one solution for this issue mentioned disconnecting from the internet), and turned off my antivirus. Nothing seems to be working.
I'm opening and saving files in OpenOffice's default text format (.odt), and no files are compressed or encrypted. Aside from italicized and bold text, I don't think I have any kind of formatting that would slow down OSC times this much.
This issue isn't limited to the writer, but the writer is the one I use the most.

To sum it up:
Opening, saving, and closing files is slow, regardless of file location, format, or file size.
Reinstalling, resetting user profile, removing file index, disconnecting from the Internet, and antivirus deactivation didn't work.
Program version: 4.1.1

Thanks in advance for your time.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
BFrei

Re: Opening, saving, and closing files is slow

Post by BFrei »

I've the same problem but on WIN7 and after a first time installation of AOO on a brand new PC.
The first 3 days it worked absolutely normal, when I opened a new textfile in WRITER it opened immediately! Then it slowed down and it now tooks about 9 seconds to open an empty textfile. And it is not only at the start, also the next textfile is opened slowly.
I tried out without connection to the network/internet, no change.
I downgraded to AOO 4.0.1, no change
I watched the taskmanager. It takes only a little CPU-time during opening AOO and there is no task with a lot of usage-%.

In short it is not a matter of the operating system nor the AOO-Version. And it is not the speed in general which is affected. By writing in WRITER it reacts absolutely normal, no delay to keyboardaction. Only loading and saving is affected.

Are there any ideas? Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on WIN7 prof
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

This thread has been here for about a month without any replies. Is it because there are no other users with this issue, aside from myself and BFrei, or because the issue is being looked into, or because the issue is not being looked into?

Anyway, after observing the Task Manager, I noticed that AOO only uses 0.1% of the disk while opening and closing, and only up to 0.3% while saving. Could this be the problem? I say "only" because it seems kinda low, IMO.

I also kinda realized that the Writer forum's description (as well as the other application-specific forums' descriptions) is incomplete. I posted this thread here because it spans all AOO applications, and because the descriptions on the aforementioned forums don't mention any kind of troubleshooting component. Regardless, my apologies for having posted this thread here.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi,

First, no problem with the forum section used. In case a moderator thinks that it should be moved, then we move it. I know there is no dedicated section for suite wide issue not dealing with installation. But since this section is also for troubleshooting, it's fine I guess.

This is the kind of problem that is very difficult to tackle because it's heavily dependent on your own system. Of course you are few to experience this, else we would be overflowed with such topics. If it used to work fine at the beginning and then it behaved strangely, there may be a problem with something that changed on your system.

You could try the portable version of AOO to see if a standalone version would not trigger what happens on the installed version. See: http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1341 (I use at work).

I would think that the problem comes from a security application but if deactivating the antivirus did the same, that's strange. Perhaps some another tool like firewall?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

Hagar Delest wrote: This is the kind of problem that is very difficult to tackle because it's heavily dependent on your own system. Of course you are few to experience this, else we would be overflowed with such topics. If it used to work fine at the beginning and then it behaved strangely, there may be a problem with something that changed on your system.
As I mentioned, I changed virtually everything (hardware and software-wise) except the HDD, and I think that's when the problem started. Might have been a while before or a while after, though. I just ignored this issue at first, TBH, but it really got on my nerves the more I tried to write. Regardless, I assume this change makes it impossible to tell what the problem is, if it's a hardware issue.
Hagar Delest wrote: I would think that the problem comes from a security application but if deactivating the antivirus did the same, that's strange. Perhaps some another tool like firewall?
I'll see if any restrictions exist and remove them. I'm also going to install the portable version you recommended and see where that gets me. I'll post back with the results in as few minutes as it takes me to try those things.
 Edit: I allowed all OpenOffice apps through the firewall (even went so far as to just turn the whole thing off) and tried the portable version. No change. 
Last edited by Blaziken_rjcf on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You could look for a Windows Update that might have been made at the time of the slowdown. A cause of slowness on Windows systems was the automatic indexing of every file; disabling this was reported to help.

My very limited experience with Win 8 was that it made my new laptop run as slow as a snail. I didn't like the interface (etc., etc.,) and changed the entire machine to Xubuntu, on which it flies. One can install most linux distros alongside Windows, or run them off a Live USB/CD/DVD for experimentation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Is AOO installed in the standard location with all other programs?
It's on the local HD or an external one?

No further ideas, I've to admit...
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

RoryOF wrote:You could look for a Windows Update that might have been made at the time of the slowdown. A cause of slowness on Windows systems was the automatic indexing of every file; disabling this was reported to help.

My very limited experience with Win 8 was that it made my new laptop run as slow as a snail. I didn't like the interface (etc., etc.,) and changed the entire machine to Xubuntu, on which it flies. One can install most linux distros alongside Windows, or run them off a Live USB/CD/DVD for experimentation.
Problem is, this most likely started as soon as the upgrade (or downgrade, depending on your perspective) from Windows 7 to 8.1 was made. No updates to screw this up. I've also already disabled automatic indexing on all OpenOffice-related files that I knew of, including the folders with my text files. Short of disabling automatic indexing throughout my entire computer (which could take a few minutes), I don't think this is the issue.

Is it possible to switch from Linux to Windows without restarting my computer? If so, I'll give it a try if nothing else works. I like to change what I'm doing quickly, so restarting every time I feel like going from writing to gaming is not an option, as it takes longer to do that than it does to wait for the files to save and close.

Hagar Delest wrote:Is AOO installed in the standard location with all other programs?
It's on the local HD or an external one?

No further ideas, I've to admit...
I installed it without changing any settings. I don't even think there was such an option. Unless it installs in the same directory as the setup (which is on an external HDD), it's probably something else. However, I'm getting the nagging feeling that it does indeed install on the same directory as the setup.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Blaziken_rjcf wrote:Is it possible to switch from Linux to Windows without restarting my computer? If so, I'll give it a try if nothing else works. I like to change what I'm doing quickly, so restarting every time I feel like going from writing to gaming is not an option, as it takes longer to do that than it does to wait for the files to save and close.
I don't think so, but I'm not certain - I moved completely to linux, keeping only an old computer running Windows to allow access to older files in restricted formats on the house server.
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

RoryOF wrote:
Blaziken_rjcf wrote:Is it possible to switch from Linux to Windows without restarting my computer? If so, I'll give it a try if nothing else works. I like to change what I'm doing quickly, so restarting every time I feel like going from writing to gaming is not an option, as it takes longer to do that than it does to wait for the files to save and close.
I don't think so, but I'm not certain - I moved completely to linux, keeping only an old computer running Windows to allow access to older files in restricted formats on the house server.
Would it help in diagnosing the problem? Because I'll try it for that reason as well.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If OpenOffice on linux runs OK it localises the problem to your Windows OS. But we are fairly sure of that anyway. I'd suggest waiting until a more experienced Windows user comes online to help - my Windows experience is now very stale (5 -6 years out of date).
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

RoryOF wrote:If OpenOffice on linux runs OK it localises the problem to your Windows OS. But we are fairly sure of that anyway. I'd suggest waiting until a more experienced Windows user comes online to help - my Windows experience is now very stale (5 -6 years out of date).
Alright. Thanks for your help, nonetheless.
 Edit: I can try installing AOO on a laptop running Windows 7, though. Would that help in diagnosing the problem? 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It will probably fly on that machine! I have some contacts who are shying away from Win 8 and keeping their Win 7 machines running, because of reports from colleagues of their Win 8 troubles/dissatisfaction.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I'm not at home and on a Windows 8 machine and it works fine (AOO 4.1.0).

Make sure that AOO was installed in Program Files (x86). That would be strange if it is not on the local HD.

NB: if you uninstall and reinstall, I would reboot the machine before reinstalling to make sure that the Windows base of registry is updated and does not keep some deprecated links. Running a registry cleaner may help also (CCleaner or similar).
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

RoryOF wrote:It will probably fly on that machine! I have some contacts who are shying away from Win 8 and keeping their Win 7 machines running, because of reports from colleagues of their Win 8 troubles/dissatisfaction.
The laptop sucks (it's older than my old computer, and that's saying something), but I'll try.

Hagar Delest wrote:NB: if you uninstall and reinstall, I would reboot the machine before reinstalling to make sure that the Windows base of registry is updated and does not keep some deprecated links. Running a registry cleaner may help also (CCleaner or similar).
Now I feel dumb for not having tried that.

I'll give both suggestions a try after lunch. First uninstall+registry cleaner+restart+reinstall, then installing on the laptop running Windows 7. However, the latter is not a solution, since I don't have access to that laptop 24/7, nor do I want to use it anyway (it's not mine, and most of what I write is not for the owner to read). I just want to be 100% sure that it's Windows 8.1 causing the problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The beauty of Linux (not applicable in this case to the laptop) is that it can make old hardware fly! I'm writing on a five year old desktop rescued from a skip (USA=dumpster) and have complete reliability and acceptable speed.
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

I installed CCleaner, ran it, uninstalled AOO, ran CC again, restarted, installed AOO, opened it, and it had the same problem. However, I forgot to delete/move/rename the profile folder prior to reinstalling (I know you didn't mention this, but, afterward, I thought it might be necessary in order to get a "clean" install, or whatever the term is), so I'll try again if you think this might have made a difference. I did rename the folder after realizing my potential mistake, as I've done a few times before, to no avail.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Renaming the Profile folder is as good as deleting it. The test of a correct removal/renaming of the profile folder is that on next usage OpenOffice prompts you to enter your name and initials. If that doesn't happen then the folder being used is still the old one.
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

RoryOF wrote:Renaming the Profile folder is as good as deleting it. The test of a correct removal/renaming of the profile folder is that on next usage OpenOffice prompts you to enter your name and initials. If that doesn't happen then the folder being used is still the old one.
I meant removing/deleting the profile prior to reinstalling AOO. Would that make a difference, compared to removing it after reinstalling?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I don't think it should. OpenOffice picks up an existing profile on reinstall, but if on startup it doesn't find one, it makes a new, default, profile, which is (or should be) the same as installing it with no profile available for pick up.
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

RoryOF wrote:I don't think it should. OpenOffice picks up an existing profile on reinstall, but if on startup it doesn't find one, it makes a new, default, profile, which is (or should be) the same as installing it with no profile available for pick up.
Well, that sucks. However, I just thought of something. I assume Linux can run on a Virtual Machine, right? If so, I can use it alongside Windows without any trouble.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Yes, it should run OK on a VM, but I've never used one - I've so many old computers about the place that I can dedicate a machine for an OS,
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

RoryOF wrote:Yes, it should run OK on a VM, but I've never used one - I've so many old computers about the place that I can dedicate a machine for an OS,
I'll give it a try later today (or maybe tomorrow). If it works, it's still not really a fix, though; just a patch at best.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
BFrei

Post by BFrei »

In my case I found a solution 3 days ago. For another reason I had to remove my virusscanner (Kaspersky 2015) completely. After that AOO 4.1.1 worked perfectely fast. After reinstallation of Kaspersky AOO still worked fast. I tink that the chronology of Installation of AOO and Kaspersky is important: first AOO then Kaspersky. So far to my case.

I would propose to remove your antivirus software completely (even if it's not Kaspersky), not only turn it off. Then try AOO before reinstalling your virusscanner and I hope you'll be successful
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on WIN7 prof
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Good thought, indeed. NB: Comodo is known to cause troubles with AOO (in case you use it).
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

I used to use Comodo, but quickly found it causes troubles with just about everything, so I uninstalled it. Now I use avast. I tried BFrei's suggestion/solution, however, and it didn't work. I'm hoping this doesn't have to do with antiviruses' annoying "feature" to "bury" themselves so deep in the HDD that a regular uninstall won't get rid of them. I'm talking about Comodo specifically, since I used avast's uninstall tool when I uninstalled it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

OK, I'm now 95% certain this has something to do with AOO, and not my antivirus or Windows.
I uninstalled avast, restarted, ran CCleaner, restarted, repaired AOO, restarted, uninstalled AOO, ran CCleaner, restarted, reinstalled AOO (resetting the user profile, just because), restarted (no change at this point), and, finally, reinstalled avast - in that order. No change whatsoever. I also installed AOO on the laptop I mentioned, and it had the exact same problem. It uses a different antivirus and has a different version of Windows, which is why I'm almost completely convinced it has to do with AOO.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

If anyone else has any more suggestions on how to fix it, I'm all ears. I much prefer AOO to MS Office, but this issue is making the program extremely annoying to use. In the time it takes to open one file, I could've written the first two sentences of this post.
As I've said, this does not appear to be a hardware issue. Right now I'm scanning my computer for malware (I found a couple more suggestions for fixing this seemingly old issue: one didn't work, and I'm trying the "scan your hard drive" one), though I doubt that's the issue.
If it matters, creating a file through the right-click context menu or within AOO itself is instantaneous.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1
hollyberry

Post by hollyberry »

I see you still seem active on this. I'd be really happy with your speeds.
My Apache Open Office running on XP is slow to open files and even slower to close-down (save) large files. I have one file of 190,000Kb. The save time is in many minutes - up to 10. What on earth can that be?
Windows XP Pro
Open Office.org 3.2.0
Blaziken_rjcf

Post by Blaziken_rjcf »

hollyberry wrote:I see you still seem active on this.
Indeed. The only alternative left to me that I know of, other than running Linux on a Virtual Machine, is to switch from AOO to another writer. I'd prefer not to do it, so I'm giving it some more time.
hollyberry wrote: I'd be really happy with your speeds.
My Apache Open Office running on XP is slow to open files and even slower to close-down (save) large files. I have one file of 190,000Kb. The save time is in many minutes - up to 10. What on earth can that be?
190,000 kb is a fairly large file. I get 10 seconds for any file size. That means an empty file (say I wrote something, erased it, then saved the empty file) takes the same amount of time to save as 30 A4 pages full of text.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
Windows 8.1