File Recovery Failing, Need Essay for Tomorrow

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
aviens

File Recovery Failing, Need Essay for Tomorrow

Post by aviens »

Hi, I have 4.1.1. Wasn't sure until I saw the updated version on another thread, but I am running Windows 8.

I typed up a file, saved it, and turned my computer off. Now, it's going direct to file recovery but the file was saved, and recovery keeps failing, only producing the same amount of characters as # symbols.

I NEED this essay for tomorrow, and the recovery nuked two pages of citations for this research paper that I can't remember the sources of, but I have a written copy of the actual paper. (Problem being, turning in a paper with no Citations is Plagarism.)

Please, help as soon and much as possible in finding out if there was a back-up or something it was saved to?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 8
RusselB

Re: File Recovery Failing, Need Essay for Tomorrow

Post by RusselB »

Did you have the Auto-backup activated?
If so, try looking in your temp directory. By default, in Windows, this should be reachable by using the Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) to go to %windows%/temp
Look for a file there that has a similar, though not identical, file name, to that of your saved file.

If not.. then I'm afraid you're SOL.... This type of problem has been reported in past, usually, I'm sorry to say, with the document being unrecoverable.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Hagar Delest

Re: File Recovery Failing, Need Essay for Tomorrow

Post by Hagar Delest »

2 reports in a row in 2 days after a long time without this issue...
See: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OO Tools>Options>OO>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers. If you have not rebooted, you might have those files still there.

If you want to help fix this problem, you can also do this survey created for this very problem: Document Recovery Survey.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10