[Solved] All words underlined in red

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
oocf

[Solved] All words underlined in red

Post by oocf »

All my words are underlined in red automatically when creating a new document. What is wrong?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.10 on Windows XP
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: ALL WORDS UNDERLINED IN RED

Post by jrkrideau »

oocf wrote::crazy:
All my words are underlined in red automatically when creating a new document. What is wrong?
The document does not have a dictionary associated with it (plus you have autospellcheck turned on).

Try Tools > Option > Language Settings to see what dictionary you have selected. Also check the paragraph Style you are using to ensure that you have a working dictionary selected there.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
oocf

Post by oocf »

Ok, I wanted to take my time and check everything you suggested, language is set to English (OK), dictionary is set to English (OK), everything is still underlined. Maybe I should close and reopen the document.

OK, closed and reopened the document and everything is still underlined in red! I expect misspelled words to be underlined, but every word in the document is underlined!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On the Status bar, what language is shown?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
oocf

Post by oocf »

It says English (USA)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Dictionary must be set to English (USA); spellcheck only works with the exact English of the dictionary, i.e English(USA) language must have English (USA) dictionary
acknak

Post by acknak »

The "all words misspelled" behavior (logically) implies that something in the OO settings profile has become crossed up.

Start a fresh profile and the spelling problem should be corrected: [Tutorial] The OOo user profile
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
oocf

Post by oocf »

Ok, I'll give it a try!

My brain is in overload, I'll come back in a couple of hours and try your suggestion! I'll update then. Thank you :-?
TikiMan

Re: All words underlined in red

Post by TikiMan »

I had the exact same problem. I went through Tools > Spelling and Grammar > Options to set everything (everything was set properly), but it didn't fix anything. :crazy: After trying the above suggestion Tools > Options > Language, it magically fixed itself despite the fact that I didn't make any changes. Whatever happened, I'm so freaking happy it's fixed. :bravo:
OpenOffice 4.1.0 // MSWIN8
steveb1997

Re: All words underlined in red

Post by steveb1997 »

Thanks for
Post by acknak » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:42 pm
This answer solved the problem for me.
"Start a fresh profile and the spelling problem should be corrected: [Tutorial] The OOo user profile"
Open Office 4.1.0 on Windows 8.1
Panther122

Re: [Solved] All words underlined in red

Post by Panther122 »

This is all well and good, but I've got this problem and it's the second time that it's happened to me. :knock: I can't remember exactly what I did to sort it, but if it's causing problems for me, twice! Then there's a serious problem with the program itself, not with us.

Doing the Tools > Options > Language only cancels out the Language at the bottom of the document for me, which I have to set whenever I start a new document anyway.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10.
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] All words underlined in red

Post by RoryOF »

It is frequently the case that the "red line" phenomenon occurs because the user has been too hasty in powering off the computer after closing OpenOffice; such over-hasty power-off can interrupt the internal housekeeping of OO, or take place before the internal write buffers in the hard disk have written the final housekeeping information to disk. It is best to wait a few seconds until disk drives have spun down before turning off the power or closing a laptop lid.

Your desired language should be set in your default template so that new text is automatically entered in that language.