[Solved] Error saving the document; error creating object.

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Post Reply
RA1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:04 pm

[Solved] Error saving the document; error creating object.

Post by RA1 »

I'm using o/s win 8.1 (basic).
A week ago I installed OO 4.0.1, and everything worked fine a while.
Last night, I tried to save a calc file I've been using and saving for days, and started getting an error message:

error saving the document xxx; error creating object. could not create backup copy

I searched the web, got some references to "profiles" maybe located in areas that win8.1 doesn't let me access.

What's going on, and how do I fix it?

I'd like to add 2 things: 1) I can save the doc by changing the name (ex: xx to xx2); also, I'm using the 64 bit version of Win 8.1.

Thanks, RA
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Libre Calc Version: 6.0.6.2 o/s Ubuntu 18.04
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
Posts: 35263
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: error saving the document xxx; error creating object.

Post by RoryOF »

Has your document got a three letter filetype? You may have to enable a setting to see this.It should have. If not, when naming your document, use /File /Save As and make sure the "automatic file name extension" box is checked.

Can you save a file from some other application, such as Notepad/Wordpad to that same directory?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.16 on Xubuntu 26.04.1 LTS
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
Posts: 35263
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: error saving the document xxx; error creating object.

Post by RoryOF »

Has your file opened "Read Only" (message in the title bar)? If so, close OpenOffice, enable viewing of hidden files and delete any lock file in the target directory.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.16 on Xubuntu 26.04.1 LTS
RA1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: error saving the document xxx; error creating object.

Post by RA1 »

RoryOF wrote:Has your file opened "Read Only" (message in the title bar)? If so, close OpenOffice, enable viewing of hidden files and delete any lock file in the target directory.
No, it's not "read only".
Libre Calc Version: 6.0.6.2 o/s Ubuntu 18.04
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
Posts: 35263
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Error saving the document xxx; error creating object.

Post by RoryOF »

File extension?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.16 on Xubuntu 26.04.1 LTS
RA1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: Error saving the document xxx; error creating object.

Post by RA1 »

RoryOF wrote:File extension?
It's x.ods.

I've had the same failure with an x.odt file.

This was not occurring over the previous 5 days -everything was working fine. I can't think of any change that might have brought it on.
Libre Calc Version: 6.0.6.2 o/s Ubuntu 18.04
User avatar
Hagar Delest
Moderator
Posts: 33699
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: France

Re: Error saving the document xxx; error creating object.

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 25.2 on Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE 7 Gigi) and 25.2 portable on Windows 11.
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
Posts: 35263
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Error saving the document xxx; error creating object.

Post by RoryOF »

If you are using single character file names, try something longer. There may be some sort of parsing problem between the filename and the lock file. If the longer names work it is worth raising a bug.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.16 on Xubuntu 26.04.1 LTS
robweir
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: Error saving the document xxx; error creating object.

Post by robweir »

RoryOF wrote:If you are using single character file names, try something longer. There may be some sort of parsing problem between the filename and the lock file. If the longer names work it is worth raising a bug.
I tried on Windows 8.1 (64-bit) with AOO 4.0.1 en_US. I tried creating, loading and saving single character file names in Calc and Writer. I saw no problems.

-Rob
OOo 3.3.0 through AOO 4.0.1 on Windows XP/7/8/8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04
Apache OpenOffice Committer/PMC
RA1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: Error saving the document xxx; error creating object.

Post by RA1 »

RoryOF wrote:If you are using single character file names, try something longer. There may be some sort of parsing problem between the filename and the lock file. If the longer names work it is worth raising a bug.

I was giving examples of file extensions - my actual file names are not single letters, they're multiple alpha-numerics.
Libre Calc Version: 6.0.6.2 o/s Ubuntu 18.04
User avatar
RoryOF
Moderator
Posts: 35263
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:30 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Error saving the document xxx; error creating object.

Post by RoryOF »

Have you tried the delete or rename of User Profile, as referenced in Hagar's message?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.16 on Xubuntu 26.04.1 LTS
RA1
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: Error saving the document xxx; error creating object.

Post by RA1 »

I think I've solved it.
I'm setting up a new computer and I'm switching from MS Office to OO.
After setting up a folder to send OO backups to manually, I renamed that folder without realizing that OO is always saving a backup, and when it couldn't find the old backup folder, it was balking and refusing to save anything.

Thanks for the help responses. RA
Libre Calc Version: 6.0.6.2 o/s Ubuntu 18.04
Post Reply