Default Fonts

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Default Fonts

Postby goranlonnqvist » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 am

Which fonts are included in OpenOffice 3.4.1.? Is there a list somewhere? I'm working on a document that's going to be downloaded and edited by other people and only want to use fonts they have on their computers.
OpenOffice 3.4.1. on Windows 7
goranlonnqvist

Re: Default Fonts

Postby RoryOF » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 am

In my installation there is a nest of fonts at
/opt /openOffice.org /basis3.4 /share /fonts /truetype
which are installed to my system (Ubuntu 12.04). I cannot remember having specificly installed these, but they are. Among these are Arimo and Cousine; if these are available on your system then presumably the other fonts of that nest will also be available.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby goranlonnqvist » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:58 am

I'm a Windows user, so all my fonts end up in C:\Windows\Fonts. However, you gave me the idea to browse for fonts in the install zip-file, and I found the following fonts:

Arimo with variations.
DejaVu with variations.
Gentrium Basic (GenBas) with variations.
Gentrium Book Basic (GenBkBas) with variations.
Open Symbol (opens_).

Unfortunately not may at all. Guess I have to find another way to get my Calc-file look the same on all user-computers.

Thanks anyway.
OpenOffice 3.4.1. on Windows 7
goranlonnqvist

Postby RoryOF » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:32 am

The fonts differ between Linux installs and Windows installs. In Windows they are in openofficeorg1.cab
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Xubuntu 18.04 (mostly 64 bit version) and infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby acknak » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47 pm

The way I look at it, I have to choose what's most important, the content or the formatting.

If I'm sending out a working document, like a spreadsheet or a text document, then the content is most important--besides, it's not possible to have control over all aspects of the formatting anyway.

If I'm sending out something meant to be read or viewed, and the formatting is more important, then I send a pdf, where the format is fixed and self-contained and will look the same everywhere.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting