[Solved] Opening docs from previous versions are scrambled

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Doug S

Re: Opening docs from previous versions are scrambled

Post by Doug S »

Doug S OpenOffice 3.4.0 on Windows 7
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I wasn't able to download from there. I don't see anything wrong or difficult with mediafire.

What filedropper did provide is the file name: Filename: Phonetic Alphabet.wpd. That looks like a WordPerfect file to me.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

zamzar accepted the file as a Wordperfect file and converted it to .odt format; it was a list of the letters of the alphabet and their phonetic equivalents.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

I downloaded the file. It is a WordPerfect file.
LibreOffice http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ successfully opens it.
Zamzar http://www.zamzar.com/ converted it successfully to .odt file.

You previously stated:
I have never used WordPerfect to create any of these files. They all were created in OpenOffice 1.1.
OpenOffice.org 1.1 COULD NOT save documents as a .wpd file.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A version of OpenOffice 1.1 is available at
http://www.oldapps.com/openoffice.php?old_openoffice=10
should anyone wish to download it and try to open the file.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The version on OldApps is 1.1.5, which I had previously downloaded from FileHippo. It would not open or save .wpd files.
Doug S wrote:I checked to see which version of OpenOffice my documents were originally created with and it is 1.1
How did you check this? The description "OpenOffice.org 1.1 Text Document" in Properties does not mean that the document was created by OpenOffice.org 1.1.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

thomasjk wrote:
Doug S wrote:I have never used WordPerfect to create any of these files. They all were created in OpenOffice 1.1. When I open the link that you gave me it takes me to a cloud site. Don't have a clue as to what I should do there.
Hmmm looks like Mediafire has changed. Try http://www.filedropper.com/. Click on upload file to start. Browse to a file and click Open. After the upload completes you will get a link. Post it here.
@Thomasjk. Mediafire has changed the interface but it still is a good place to store files. It just takes a few hours of headbanging to figure out the new approach :crazy: Actualy some of it is even an improvment.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I second or third the Wordperfect file confirmation. I opened it in LO 3.5.4.2. You need to try LO as previously suggested or use the old version 3.3 from here.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

@jkrideau
@Thomasjk. Mediafire has changed the interface but it still is a good place to store files. It just takes a few hours of headbanging to figure out the new approach :crazy: Actualy some of it is even an improvment.
Yes. The OP was having enough issues without adding the changes from Mediafire to the mix.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Doug S

Post by Doug S »

How did all of the OpenOffice 1.1 files become WordPerfect files when I installed OpenOffice 3.4.0? (there are hundreds). I have never had WordPerfect on this computer.
Doug S

Post by Doug S »

Should I uninstall OpenOffice 3.4.0?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you were using OpenOffice 1.1 you must have brought the files forward from an older computer; OpenOffice 1.1 was from 2002 to 2005, much earlier than Windows 7. Their file type was set at the time they were saved, unless it has been changed since, which would havve required User intervention. Internal evidence from the file you supplied shows it was written in WordPerfect format
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Doug S wrote:How did all of the OpenOffice 1.1 files become WordPerfect files when I installed OpenOffice 3.4.0? (there are hundreds). I have never had WordPerfect on this computer.
They have always been WordPerfect files. You previously stated:
Properties shows them as OpenOffice.org 1.1 Text Document (.wpd)
.wpd is the file type, which is a WordPerfect file.
"OpenOffice.org 1.1 Text Document" indicates that your computer is set to open that file type with OpenOffice.org. It does not mean that file was created with OpenOffice.org.As I said before, OOo cannot save a document as a .wpd file. The 1.1 probably refers to "OpenDocument 1.1", the file type used by OOo. If you have never used WordPerfect you must have got the files from someone else.

Just install LibreOffice to open and read your .wpd files. You can save then save them as .odt files if you wish. If you want to edit the file you will have to save it as an .odt file. There is no need to uninstall Apache OpenOffice 3.4
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Doug S wrote:How did all of the OpenOffice 1.1 files become WordPerfect files when I installed OpenOffice 3.4.0? (there are hundreds). I have never had WordPerfect on this computer.
File formats do not change when installing software. The description of the file type on the Properties window may change when the default program for opening the files is changed, but the file itself does not change. When I change the default program of a WordPerfect file from OpenOffice.org Writer to WordPerfect 9, the description changes from "OpenOffice.org 1.1 Text Document (.wpd)" to "WordPerfect 9 Document (.wpd)". The description changes, but the file format (.wpd) does not change.
Doug S

Post by Doug S »

I am now having trouble installing LibreOffice. I saved the download files to a folder and when I run the installation wizard it thinks LibreOffice is open and asks me to close LibreOffice before proceeding with the installation, even though I have not yet installed it. Clicking the OK button cancels the installation. What if I install an earlier version of OpenOffice that will open these files? The problem seems to have been caused by OpenOffice 3.4.0.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may need to close the Quickstarter in the System Tray; right click on the blue icon with seagulls and choose "Exit" (I think that is the command - I'm not on a Windows system at present).
Doug S

Post by Doug S »

Now I am no longer able to open OpenOffice 3.4.0, either from the tray or the shortcut. It also does not appear in the list of all programs in the Start menu. I feel I should uninstall it. Is there any reason I shouldn't?
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Does it show in Control panel-->Programs and features? If you installed LO 3.5 it most likely uninstalled V3.4.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Doug S wrote:Now I am no longer able to open OpenOffice 3.4.0, either from the tray or the shortcut. It also does not appear in the list of all programs in the Start menu. I feel I should uninstall it. Is there any reason I shouldn't?
What did you do? Programs don't usually disappear spontaneously from the Start menu. That usually happens when the program is uninstalled by the user.
Doug S

Post by Doug S »

OpenOffice 3.4.0 still appears in Control Panel: Programs and Features list but not in Start: Programs list. Why don't I just uninstall it? It is useless to me. Why won't LibreOffice install? If I can't get it to install should I try to install an earlier version of OpenOffice from the archive? Would restoring to a previous Restore point help?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If you're going to continue to use the .wpd file format, then turn off the Quickstarter and uninstall AOO 3.4. It won't open or save .wpd files. If you install, LO, you will be able to open the files, but you won't be able to save them in the .wpd format.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

It sounds as though you have cooked up quite a mess. I would completely remove all LO and OO versions.

If you can't open the existing software now, rename your profile folder so that you get a new one when you next use the software. I know some people like the quick starter but it seems to me to be a source of problems so I would disable it in Tools > Options in due course.

Then install an earlier version of OO (link provided previously). Open your WP files, save to an open document format. Either stay with the earlier version or update. With Windows it seems to be desirable to remove the existing version first. Version 3.4.1 is expected at the end of this month.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Doug S

Post by Doug S »

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully this will solve my problems. I will let you know what happens. It is curious that many recent files were converted to WordPerfect files by OpenOffice 3.4.0, some created less than a week ago, and WordPerfect has never been installed on this computer (it was brand new in June of last year). One of life's mysteries I guess.
Doug S

Post by Doug S »

I just tried to uninstall OpenOffice 3.4.0 from the control panel. Again, I got the message: "Please exit OpenOffice.org 3.4 and the OpenOffice.org 3.4 Quickstarter before you continue. If you are using a multi-user system also make sure that no other users has OpenOffice.or 3.4 open." What do I need to do to get beyond this? To my knowledge neither of these are open.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try Ctrl Shift Esc to open TaskManager and kill any soffice processes showing on the Processes tab. Now close Task Manager and try Control Panel removal of OpenOffice again. Or alternately use Revo Uninstaller (you must download it) at its most agressive settings to remove all previous OpenOffice/LibreOffice/StarOffice installs.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Doug S wrote:It is curious that many recent files were converted to WordPerfect files by OpenOffice 3.4.0, some created less than a week ago, and WordPerfect has never been installed on this computer (it was brand new in June of last year). One of life's mysteries I guess.
It's certainly a mystery to me. It makes no sense for OpenOffice 3.4.0 convert files to a format which it can't open or save. I have hundreds of files created by earlier versions of OOo. None of those were converted to a different file format when AOO 3.4 was installed.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Bill wrote:
Doug S wrote:It is curious that many recent files were converted to WordPerfect files by OpenOffice 3.4.0, some created less than a week ago, and WordPerfect has never been installed on this computer (it was brand new in June of last year). One of life's mysteries I guess.
It's certainly a mystery to me. It makes no sense for OpenOffice 3.4.0 convert files to a format which it can't open or save. I have hundreds of files created by earlier versions of OOo. None of those were converted to a different file format when AOO 3.4 was installed.
Nor me, on 8 computers using various Operating Systems (Windows and *Ubuntus) with all versions of OpenOffice from StarOffice 7 onward.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This happens to Windows users only when they rely entirely on the file icon and the Windows file description. Both depend on the file name extension which is hidden by default since Windows '95. People think that files get magically "converted" when the icons look different. Thanks to Microsoft, many computer users suffer from misconceptions about file systems and file formats.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Tuesday, July 03, 2012
Doug S wrote:Thanks for all your help. Hopefully this will solve my problems. I will let you know what happens. It is curious that many recent files were converted to WordPerfect files by OpenOffice 3.4.0, some created less than a week ago, and WordPerfect has never been installed on this computer (it was brand new in June of last year). One of life's mysteries I guess.
Since AOO cannot save files as WordPerfect files you gave a problem you need to track down.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Doug S

Post by Doug S »

Hi. I tried to uninstall OpenOffice 3.4.0 but again I got the following message: "Please exit OpenOffice.org 3.4 and the OpenOffice Quickstarter before you continue. If you are using a multi-user system also make sure that no other users has OpenOffice.org 3.4 open". This is the same message I got and which prevented me from installing LibreOffice. I cannot find anywhere that OpenOffice 3.4.0 is open. How do I defeat this so I can uninstall this program?

Note: I am leaving town tomorrow and may not be able to respond until next Tuesday.