ASCII filter options

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
pip.love

ASCII filter options

Post by pip.love »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.0
What Operating System (version) are you using? Im using windows
What is your question or comment? I was putting the finishing touches to an essay for university andmy laptop crashed just as i was saving. This has never happened before and open office writer has always worked for me. I left my computer and logged on. When i tried to open the file it came up with

ASCII Filter option
Character set: Western europe (windows-1252/WinLatin 1)
Defult Fonts: Times New Roman
Language: English (usa)
Paragraph break: CR & LF CR LF

ok cancel help

So when i click ok it comes up with 15 pages of ############
As u can imagine, im desperate for some help. i searched it on the internetand found a forum where this had happened to someone else. the help was to download hexplorer and open the file. I did, and its a black screen with a white line going down the 1st eigth of the screen. to the left of this are little green squares or dots.

Please help...Im so stuck
any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Hagar Delest

Re: ascii filter options

Post by Hagar Delest »

What file format have you used? native .odt or .doc? In the former case, you can hope for some recovery but I fear you've used the latter and in that case, I'm rather pessimistic.

Check also in your OOo user profile backup: \Documents and settings\<user>\Application data\OpenOffice.org2\user\backup.

NB: moved your thread in the Setup & Troubleshouting forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10