Paint .NET: can't copy paste in Writer

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
bmuth

Paint .NET: can't copy paste in Writer

Post by bmuth »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.4.0
What Operating System (version) are you using? Windows XP
What is your question or comment?

Paint .NET incompatibility: This is one of the most popular free paint programs available now for image editing. However, you can't copy and paste from it into Office Writer! I can copy and paste into any other application. What gives? Where would I even submit this as a potential bug?
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Paint .NET

Post by squenson »

You are right, it is slightly more complex in OOo. After you have copied your image in Paint 9or any other software), go to Writer, select the menu Insert > Object > OLE Object, then select Further objects in the textbox, then bitmap image and click OK. Your default image editor should open (Paint under Windows), where you can paste your image and then File > Exit and return. A lengthy process...

If you want to create a bug or in this case a request for improvement, go here:
http://qa.openoffice.org/

Note that this web site is not the most trivial to use. Read the instructions and please do a search before posting your request, it may already exist.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
bmuth

Post by bmuth »

Thanks very much for the reply! The confusing thing is that I can do a simple copy / paste from other graphics programs (Irfanview, Microsoft Paint, PhotoShop, etc.). I can even copy paste from Paint.NET to Irfanview and from Irfanview to OOo. But you can't copy / paste from Paint.NET directly to OOo??
acknak

Post by acknak »

OOo and Paint.Net have to agree on a graphics format that they will provide and accept. It might be something as simple as what the format is named (e.g. one might say "I can accept a PNG image" and the other one says "Oops, sorry, I can only accept a png image").

File a bug with both applications, and link each report to the other.
Open Office Quality Assurance - Report Bugs

You can always export the image from Paint.Net and then insert it into OOo from the file. Personally, I would avoid using an OLE object.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23