2.3 mime issues

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
yazdzik

2.3 mime issues

Post by yazdzik »

Dear Friends,

Most unusual behaviour -

openoffce 2.3.0

gnome 2.20

2 2.6.23

note please, in my mission crit system, this behaviour does not occur, so it is not a network issue, in se...

opening a document from machine a, as described above, on machine b, irrepsective of extension, mime type, format, &c, that is openable by OO results in an empty file on machine a, but worse, the file on machine b is then empty - as in 0 kb worth of data, as in a blank file, with not even any more mime info.

let us say we open dogface.doc residing on machine b on machine a. what comes in OO is a blank doc, with, funny enough, "preformatted text" in the drop down.

then, what is left on machine b, is an empty file, openable with nothing, but, if one transfer it back to machine a, it comes as plain text.

this means,clearly, danger of data loss.

obviously, I can copy the file to machine a, edit it, and send it back, but how often do we just click on it, even by accident, and up pops OO, and away goes the data.

abiword opens a blank document, but does not destroy the file...

most interesting, all the icon preview content on machine a is gone, as if no more mimetypes were being thought about, vanished in a dream, although clicking on one returns it, and the rest of the system to "normal"

Best,
Martin
Hagar Delest

Re: 2.3 mime issues

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi, I know it's an old post but have you filed a bug report so that the devs could try to reproduce that?
See here: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs.

NB: moved the thread to the Setup & troubleshouting forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10