[Solved] Document file is locked by unknown user

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
bigben518

[Solved] Document file is locked by unknown user

Post by bigben518 »

The past few days I have been trying to open a file that I've been working on for about three years. When trying to open it, it came up saying "document file is blocked by unknown user" and says that i can open a copy of the file. I did so, but then it said that I could not save the file because of "insufficient user rights." I need to work on this file NOW, and I can not do so because of this. It will also not let me email the file as I can not save it.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open office 3.3.0 Windows 7
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: Document file is locked by unknown user

Post by kingfisher »

With the document closed, look in the folder which contains it. If there is a 'lock' file associated with the document, delete it.

If not, use the Windows tool to alter permissions.

If you are in a hurry and can't fix whatever is wrong, copy the data and paste it to a new document
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
bigben518

Post by bigben518 »

I don't know how to use the windows tool, and the file is on the desktop... It won't show me what folder it is in. It won't let me save the copy pasted file either.
bigben518

Post by bigben518 »

Nevermind I found the locked file and deleted it... Thanks so much
jzelliott

Re: [Solved] Document file is locked by unknown user

Post by jzelliott »

The posts above do not help me at all as none seem to be relevant to my problem and I don't know what to do.
  • An .xls file sent to me and saved by me, as an Openoffice Calc spreadsheet, is "locked by unknown user" when I try and open it
    I can open a copy for editing
    If I save that copy under a different name, the new file is also "locked by unknown user" when I try to open it
    If i create a brand new Openoffice Calc spreadsheet, called "test.ods", and save it, the saved file is "locked by unknown user"
    if I create a new text file (Openoffice) and save it in the same folder, it becomes "locked by unknown user"
    I have enabled "Show hidden files" in Windows 10 folder options, for that folder, and there are no .lock files in the folder
    nothing already suggested works for me.
I would be most grateful if any of you can suggest a solution to this new problem with using OOo under Windows 10 in August/September 2017.

Many thanks, James.
James Elliott
OOo 4.1.5
Windows 10