eclinicalworks and openoffice?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mike808ec

eclinicalworks and openoffice?

Post by mike808ec »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using?
2.4x
What Operating System (version) are you using?

XP Pro
What is your question or comment?

I've been using OpenOffice at church and at home now for about a year now. Works great!! The Medical office where I work is converting from paper records to Electronic Medical Records (EMR). We have chosen eclinicalworks.

I don't want to get into an eclinical / EMR debate. It's not perfect, but it meets our requirements, and there is a large presence at the local hospital which will make support easier. I personnaly wanted a Mac solution, but there were no products that met all the requirements...

Sorry, I digress!

One of the requirements for eclinicalworks is MS office Basic on all workstations. Not having actually used the product yet "live", I'm not sure exactly how it uses MS Office, but I'm wondering if we could use OpenOffice. The salesman who demoed eclinicalworks didn't have clue, only stated that MS Office was a requirement. The only thing I saw him do was generate reports and spreadsheets in Word and Excel. Seems to me that OpenOffice would work??

Anybody have any ideas / comments / experience with openoffice and eclinical?

Thanks!

MC
Hagar Delest

Re: eclinicalworks and openoffice?

Post by Hagar Delest »

It depends on what eclinicalworks does exactly. But if it needs VBA Basic, then I don't think it can work because OOo Basic is different. Some alternatives have some VBA support (see here: [Solved] OO 2.4 Calc Compatibility problem with MS Excel).

Your dealer should be able to describe exactly how his product works, you can also give it a try installing OOo on a machine for a test.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10