Document accidentally overwritten by another

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ELINORE

Document accidentally overwritten by another

Post by ELINORE »

I am a new OPEN OFFICE user. In saving a current document, the cursor slipped to the title below and saved the current document under the wrong title, removing the
document that was previously saved there. It isn't a problem for the current document, since it is saved in it's own file as well. Is there a way that I can retrieve the document that has been erroneously overwritten??
windows 7 operating system OPEN OFFICE 3.1
hol.sten
Volunteer

Re: Document accidentally overwriiten by another

Post by hol.sten »

ELINORE wrote:Is there a way that I can retrieve the document that has been erroneously overwritten??
Check if the lost file is located in your backup folder in the user profile folder. Here is described where you can find it:
[Tutorial] The OOo user profile: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=12426
If not, check your own backups, if there are any.
Otherwise the file is lost.
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
tdog777000

Re: Document accidentally overwritten by another

Post by tdog777000 »

Sorry this is late as hell but I just did the same silly mistake and saved my own bacon somehow. (Though I don't understand what I did, I hope I'm able to help someone else who ends up in the same situation :super: )

I checked my backup folder for the program and there was nothing there BUT I did this instead:
Clicked "open" in Open office
scrolled to the file I saved over and clicked it once
on the bottom right, instead of clicking open, open the drop down menu right next to it
click "show previous versions"
Right click the version you want back
click "open with" and select wordpad

It opened on wordpad and I was able to copy and paste it from there :o
I hope this helps someone at some point
Openoffice 4.0.1 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Document accidentally overwritten by another

Post by Bill »

That may only work in Windows 7. Windows 7 stores previous versions of files if system restore hasn't been turned off. Windows 8 shows a "Version" box on the Open dialog, but that's tied to the Versions feature in OpenOffice, not previous versions stored by Windows 8. I created a new file and saved several versions of the file, but when I tried using the Version box to restore an older version of the file, it only displayed the current version or crashed AOO.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04