[Solved] Compatibility

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
tinhat

[Solved] Compatibility

Post by tinhat »

[Solved] Can I use OO alongside colleagues using Word Excel etc with no problems?
Last edited by tinhat on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Compatibility

Post by Hagar Delest »

Short answer: Yes.
Alternative answer: It depends.
Longer answer: MS Office file formats are closed, no specification available (well, it seems it's about to change) so the filters have been made by reverse engineering. So small glitches can appear or formatting differences. So it depends on the files you're exchanging. But comments and change record features works well. As OOo is free, just install it and make some tries with your colleagues.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

NB: moved your thread in the Setup forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

From my experience, Word files (.doc) work best. Only special formatting and complicated table structures may cause problems. Also very large documents are well converted.
Also Excel files (.xls) mainly work well, although there might be some more compatibility issues.
PowerPoint (.ppt) compatibility is very good as long as the presentations only contain text and static graphics. When coming to multimedia content and slide transitions, compatibility is limited.
Macros are not compatible at all, they basically need to be re-written.

So it really depends on which type of documents you mainly need and how complex they are.

You might want to try a search in this forum on MS Office compatibility. This can also give you some ideas on where problems may arise.

Otherwise, I strongly support Hagar's idea to really test with the documents you are working with.

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You can query the Issue Tracker to see what issues others have had:

Issue tracking query
tinhat

Post by tinhat »

Thanks to all I will give it a go
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Compatibility

Post by Hagar Delest »

NB: there is one show stopper for me with Calc (at work): the number of columns in DataPilot feature. OOo supports only 8 columns only.
See here: [Issue] More than 8 datafields in datapilot?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10