Open Office and MS Works

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
arnmh1

Open Office and MS Works

Post by arnmh1 »

Hi everyone,

I haven't downloaded Open Office as yet. I was informed Open Office will accept data
from Word that Vista Home Basic with Works will not. I do not have Office installed
and I want to determine that there is compatibility with the programs now in my system.

Thanks for any assistance.

arnmh1
Op
RonIA
Volunteer

Re: Open Office and MS Works

Post by RonIA »

Quickly, yes, OpenOffice.org will work with the MS Office files. I am uncertain about MS Works. In the past it was not able to use the MS Office files. I am unaware of any compatibility issues with other applications. OpenOffice.org doesn't put out tentacles like some other products (Microsoft for example) into a lot of other areas.

OpenOffice.org should work great for you. One big benefit of OpenOffice.org compared to Microsoft Works is that it is a fully living, breathing, growing office suite. Microsoft Works has always been just a bit player that Microsoft produced because many people were unable/unwilling to pay for the entire Microsoft Office. The functionality of Microsoft Works hasn't changed much lately from what I know about, just making it flashier to match Microsoft's new MS Windows themes. OpenOffice.org is already great, but is getting better all the time.

One of the bigger reasons I believe you should go with OpenOffice.org is that it uses the OpenDocument format as its native format. Though it can read/write the Microsoft proprietary file formats it uses the OpenDocument format which is actually readily usable by a number of different office applications as opposed to being locked into the MS Office formats. I have many documents which are older, but still important. I want to know I can access them long after Microsoft is but a memory.
Ron from Iowa, USA
arnmh1

Post by arnmh1 »

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your input. I'll give it a shot.

What I never understood is why MS went back to Works after Word became available. Next
to Works, Word is an excellent program.

I'm sure I'll be pleased with OpenOffice

Arn
RonIA
Volunteer

Post by RonIA »

I think I can sum it up with one word. Money.

Microsoft wants to provide a Microsoft branded product that is not quite up to what most people want, i.e. Microsoft Office. Then when they find they "need" Microsoft Office, they will think, Microsoft Office. There is where MS makes their money in this deal.
Ron from Iowa, USA
Corfy
Volunteer

Post by Corfy »

arnmh1 wrote:What I never understood is why MS went back to Works after Word became available. Next
to Works, Word is an excellent program.
Retail Price of Microsoft Works: $40
Retail Price of Microsoft Word as part of Microsoft Office Home and Office: $150
Retail Price of Microsoft Word as part of Microsoft Office Standard: $400 full, $240 upgrade

Not everyone is willing to pay $150 to $400 for Word, so they make the ultra-cheap (referring to functionality) Works available. But if it is a Microsoft product, it has to be good... right? :roll:
---
Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
OOo 2.4 on K/Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 and WinXP Pro and Home
Repossess your computer!