[Solved] Problem installing version 2.4

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
chariklo

[Solved] Problem installing version 2.4

Post by chariklo »

I'm new to Open Office, and installed the earlier version just a few days ago, and have been using it without a problem. Today I got the announcement about the new version and proceeded to download it. But as it goes through the installation process, it gives a message

"Some files that need to be updated are currently in use. The following applications are using files that need to be updated by this setup. Close these applications and click Retry to continue."

It then gives OpenOffice.org 2.3 ( Process ID:5388)

However, I have no OpenOffice applications open and running though I do have saved Writer documents on the computer.

I'm using Windows Vista on a new Dell laptop. Can anyone advise, please? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by chariklo on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Problem installing version 2.4

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I suspect that the Quickstarter is loaded. Check in the system tray and exit Quickstarter before proceeding with the upgrade.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
chariklo

Post by chariklo »

Thanks a lot for such a quick repsonse!

I found the Quickstarter and closed it and retried the installation. But now it gives the same message, and specifies these applications that need to be closed.

Any ideas, please?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Open the task manager and kill all the soffice.bin processes that could remain.
NB: the id of the processes gives us no information, upload a screenshot if the trick above has not fixed it.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
chariklo

Post by chariklo »

That did it, Hagar, and thanks a lot to everyone. What a very swift and helpful response! :)