General Input/Output Error with docx

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
bmasseur

General Input/Output Error with docx

Post by bmasseur »

Open Office runs perfectly fine except for these two files I need to open for my online math course. I did the first assignment no problem because it was in a .doc (I'm using the latest version of Open Office on Windows XP), but the next two assignments are in .docx format and although Open Office has not trouble opening any other .docx on my computer, it can't open these two files. One of them has a deadline for tomorrow, I'm emailing the teacher in the meantime, but if anyone can help me out in the meantime it would really save my arse.

As far as trouble-shooting goes I searched around on the internet and the problem seems to usually be fixed by resetting the user profile or reinstalling Open Office; both of which I have already done.

Instead of loading, Open Office displays one of this tiny pop-up windows in the centre of the screen with a red X like so:

General Error.
General input/output error.

That's all. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.
Open Office Version 3.3 installed on Windows XP Professional
Hagar Delest

Re: General Input/Output Error with docx

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See for example Importing MS word DOC & DOCX documents.

Welcome to the vendor lock-in policy...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jfmiller28

Re: General Input/Output Error with docx

Post by jfmiller28 »

This is the top result on Google for this problem as of April 2, 2014. Rather then a link which least to a list of links to other forum posts, can someone just post the solution on this thread so it is easily foind through the world most used search engine?
LibreOffice 4.0.4.2 (Build ID: 9e9821abd0ffdbc09cd8c52eaa574fa09eb08f2); Windows 7 pro, SP1