[Solved] User Interface size of displayed text

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mwprivpub07

[Solved] User Interface size of displayed text

Post by mwprivpub07 »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using?
OOo 2.3.1
What Operating System (version) are you using?
XP SP2 + updates, Java 1.6.0.3
What is your question or comment?

Description:
When opening the help to any of the OOo programs the actual text size has shrunk or is so small that it can not be read. I estimate it to be font size 5pt or less. All the icons are small too. They are probably proportionally resized to suite the font.

Question:
How do I change the size of the Help text window (left and right side) so it can be read?
(see attched file: Helpwindow_too_small_help_text.jpg)

Failed resolution attempts:
All attempts to change this, not even a complete reinstall, have helped. It must be some setting that is not changed, when OOo is removed.
- It has nothing to do with the resolution of the PC display, as in OOo the actual menus and window texts are shown in approx 12pt and can be read.
- Changing the user interface font size does not help (View/Options/ window: user interface: scaling.
- I tried to locate accessability information elsewhere on OOo, e.g. for the visually impared (which I am not), could not be found, even if it must be there somewere.
- Using the online help I didn't find anything using combinations of the key words: font, display, user interface, accessability, size, window settings, etc.

I would really hope that the solution to this problem, would find its way into the online help as some might have the same problem. There is not problem for me to go and edit a text file if need be.

Thanks
Attachments
Picture showing the user interface of the help window right side with the help text is such a small font, that it can  not be read anymore
Picture showing the user interface of the help window right side with the help text is such a small font, that it can not be read anymore
Last edited by mwprivpub07 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Martin
acknak

Re: User Interface size of displayed text

Post by acknak »

Have you read the forum Survival Guide?
The search facility is not perfect but it usually worth a few minutes. A quick search for "help font size" leads to to this: [Solved] Change "Help" Font Size
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Re: [SOLVED] User Interface size of displayed text

Post by acknak »

mwprivpub07 commented by PM about the difficulty this causes for users. I'm responding here in case anyone else is interested.

You can register and file bug reports or enhancement requests, with comments, here: http://qa.openoffice.org. There is some more guidance on that process here: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs. Issues are reviewed by the developers.

That said, there are at least four relevant issues already on file:
Issue 5396: mouse wheel zooming feature not mentioned in help (Closed: WORKSFORME)
Issue 22264: Online Help UI default settings: Ease editing
Issue 34360: Need way of zooming Help display
Issue 70670: Huge Font Size in Help (Closed: WONTFIX)
Judging by the negative responses, or lack of response, it seems the developers don't feel this is a problem.

Perhaps a comment from you, and/or a couple of votes for the open issues, would help change their minds.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23