[Solved] Saving Oddity

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
eleroy44

[Solved] Saving Oddity

Post by eleroy44 »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.3.1
What Operating System (version) are you using? Windows XP
What is your question or comment? I just downloaded OpenOffice and have begun experimenting with Writer. Whenever I save a document to any format at all, it is saved automatically not as a document but as a StuffIt compressed file. When opened, it becomes not a document but a folder that contains items such as "content," "meta," "settings," and folders such as "Configurations2," "META-INF," and so forth. It's as though saving deconstructs a document into its component parts. Somehow, this just doesn't seem normal, and I don't get it.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as solved.
James
Volunteer

Re: Saving Oddity

Post by James »

In the Save As... dialogue, do you have Automatic file name extension enabled?

To "recover" the files already saved, try adding the OpenDocument extension (.odt, .ods, .odp etc) or if for any reason the file has a different extension try changing it, from for example .zip, to .odt (or .ods etc).
James
www.8daysaweek.co.uk - A User-Focused OOo site.
Windows Easy Installation CDs & OOo on USB Keys, OOo for Mac OS X + Ubuntu CDs

Please read: Survival Guide for the forum
OOo 3.1.1 on Ubuntu 9.x + Windows XPP, Mac OS X
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If there's no file name extension, Windows should be asking what program should be used to open the file. This sounds more like a file association problem. Check the options in Stuffit and make sure that Stuffit hasn't been set to open the open document files. If you uncheck the options in Stuffit, you may then have to change the file associations so that the files open with OpenOfifce.org.

How to change which program starts when you double-click a file in Windows XP
eleroy44

Post by eleroy44 »

Thank you James and Bill. Unclicking automatic file name extension helps. I tried opening a Word file which works, of course. I'm not sure why, when saving as an OpenOffice document, the icon is still a Word one. I think I need to do some reading first and playing around afterward.