Locked Document

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
BluemoonFlower

Locked Document

Post by BluemoonFlower »

Help! While working on my notebook I accidentally hit the power button that made it shut down, and when I tried to open the document I had been working on, it said it was locked by another user for editing. I can't even copy it to another document because all the words change to '#'. Is there a way I can unlock and get it back to normal?
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7 Ultimate
RoryOF

Re: Locked Document

Post by RoryOF »

If you are getting ###s, it doesn't look good. Firstly, with OpenOffice closed, delete any filename of the form .~lock.Filename.odt#, where the odt will be replaced by ods if you were using a Calc file (etc, for other OOo file types). This will unlock the file for you. Replace the odt witht zip, and use an archive manager to open the file. If it opens (unlikely, I think), you need to extract Content.xml, which will hold your content unformatted. If this doesn't work the only other possibility is that there is a Filename.bak file lurking on your system.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
BluemoonFlower

Post by BluemoonFlower »

Well, the only way I got to see the ~lock.Filename.odt# was when I put it into a winrar file. I deleted it, and I tried to extract the content, but I don't think it worked...How would I find the Filename.bak? Or would I be doing the extract wrong?
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Filename.bak will be in your user profile http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=12426. It will only be there if you had Tools-->Options-->Load\Save--->General. "Always create a backup copy" checked. I recommend you do this for the future.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
BluemoonFlower

Post by BluemoonFlower »

Alright, looks like I don't...But oh well, now at least I know that. Thank you :) Though does mean anything thing when I tried to open the locked document an ASCII Filter Options pops up?
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

It means that OOo does not recognize the file. If you open it and see all #################, then the file is corrupt.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10