[Solved] Opening an OO file from Flash Drive

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Bozko89

[Solved] Opening an OO file from Flash Drive

Post by Bozko89 »

Hi I am pretty new to OO, so heres my problem. I typed a paper in OO on my laptop, saved it on a flash drive, then plugged the flash drive into my desktop so I could print it out. (My printer is hooked up to the desktop). When I open up the document from my flash drive on my desktop, it shows all of these coded mumbo-jumbo characters in OO, instead of the document that I typed up earlier. I have a feeling that this relates to some kind of character set box that I saw before opening up my file on the desktop. It said the character set was like Western European or something like that. Can anybody tell me why I am seeing some weird coded language instead of the document that I typed up, when opening up the document on my desktop? I would appreciate it. Thanks!

By the way I do have OO installed on my desktop as well.
Last edited by Bozko89 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Opening an OO file from Flash Drive

Post by Hagar Delest »

It seems there has been a problem during transfer of the file. You should try again. Are you sure the extension is correct? What OS?

Please read the Survival Guide for the forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bozko89

Post by Bozko89 »

I am running Vista on both computers and the document is an rtf. I will try transferring the file again with a different flash drive and let you know how it works out. Thanks.
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

rtf is a bad choice in OOo. OOo has several bugs on handling heavy formatted rtf, use OOo native format odf.
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
Bozko89

Post by Bozko89 »

r4zoli wrote:rtf is a bad choice in OOo. OOo has several bugs on handling heavy formatted rtf, use OOo native format odf.
Thank you, It seems I didn't have the most recent version of OOo installed on my computers and I also changed the file format to odf. Thanks Again! :mrgreen: