[Solved] Font Sets

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
ianM

[Solved] Font Sets

Post by ianM »

Where do I find font librairies or font sets that are compatible with Open Office. The default installation selection is rather small. Once found, how does one go about installing them?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved and moved it to the right forum.
acknak

Re: Font Sets

Post by acknak »

OOo will use TrueType or Postscript fonts. It does not support OpenType fonts yet.

You install extra fonts at the OS (system) level, using whatever method your system provides for installing fonts.

You can use OOo to install fonts for it's own use, but there's little point in doing that. You might as well have the system install them so you can use the fonts with any application.

Have you read the Forum Survival Guide? If you need a more specific answer, you'll need to provide more information.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
ianM

Re: Font Sets

Post by ianM »

Thanks. Figured out what is going on. Have a few systems on a network and wondered why I wasn't seeing the font list that I am familiar with on the systems that have Oo. Thought it was because the fonts were not compatible with Oo. Now realize that the font sets weren't installed on the systems that have Oo. Will migrate them over. Thanks again for your help.
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Font Sets

Post by foxcole »

If you have more than a few hundred fonts (or even if you don't) you might want to install a font manager on those machines too. The operating system loads all the fonts that are currently installed, so it slows down just about every program a user needs. Some OSs, like Windows, reach a limit beyond which they're no longer able to load or handle fonts correctly. A font manager helps the user find and load only those fonts they want, and stores the rest. Here's a good one for OOo users:
http://www.moonsoftware.com/fxplorer.asp
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit