quaoto prp

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
chuck

quaoto prp

Post by chuck »

open office on my spread sheet when i click to close it ask to save click save and the following message appears
the document xyz has been modified do you want to save changes i click save than the following message appears
errors saving document general error general input/output error.
i just down loaded this soft ware cause i couldnt get in my spreed sheet program a freind told me about this scared to turn off computer as it is tax time all info on this spreed thanks, chuck
Hagar Delest

Re: quaoto prp

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please read the Survival Guide for the forum. What OS? What OOo version?

Can you save under another name?
Is it the whole error message or is there another information?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

Please have a look at the Survival Guide (see the link in my sig line) and provide the required details. Please also try to describe your computer environment (is your computer networked? are you the sole user?) as closely as possible, as well as where you're trying to save the file (are you using the default location? you can find where that is by looking under Tools> Options> OpenOffice.org> Paths, next to "My Documents").

Also, as a courtesy to others trying to read your posts, please take the little extra effort to use sentence case and punctuation. I don't mean to scold, but just to point out that your post is a muddle and extremely difficult to read. I have no idea what your subject line means and actually thought this was a spam post, so you might want to change that to something that describes the problem. That will attract more eyes and the minds behind them, so you have a better chance of getting the problem solved.

(To change the subject line, edit your first post and change it there. That's the one that shows up in the topic list.)
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

foxcole wrote:I have no idea what your subject line means ...
I thought it was meant to be Quattro Pro, which is why I opened the topic, but after reading the post I don't have a clue what it means.
chuck wrote:... i click save than the following message appears
errors saving document general error general input/output error.
I would try the menu option File > Save as ... and give it a new name.

If that still doesn't work, try it again to a different hard drive if you have one.

As an absolute last resort, select all the data, copy it to the clipboard with Ctrl+C, then open up Notepad, or any plain text editor that is not part of OpenOffice, and paste the clipboard in with Ctrl+V. Then save that and give the text file to your friend. Tell him it is a Tab Seperated Values file, and he may need to change the filetype to TSV or CSV instead of TXT.
acknak

Post by acknak »

As I recall, the "General I/O" error is caused by system "cleaners" that remove temporary files, in this case while OOo is still using them!

I don't remember the name of the cleaner software; if you do a search, you should find it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:As I recall, the "General I/O" error is caused by system "cleaners" that remove temporary files, in this case while OOo is still using them!
That's what I also thought but the error message is "Error writing file" in that case.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Oops. Right you are.

There are some instructions relative to this error here: General error or General input/output error
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

But in that case, the full error message should be something like that:

Code: Select all

Errorloading BASIC of document
file:///C:Program%Files/OpenOffice.org#.#.#/share/basic/Webwizard/script/xlb/:
General Error.
General input/output error. 
:mrgreen:
That's why we need the full error message.