Where can I find language packs for OpenOffice.org

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Where can I find language packs for OpenOffice.org

Post by DrewJensen »

A list of available language packs is now maintained on the OpenOffice.org wiki at
Download OpenOffice.org Language Packs

Available native languauge dictionary files can be found at
Navive Language Dictionaries

You can find a small tutorial on working with spell check and language configurations on the forum at
[Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
Phil
Volunteer

Re: Where can I find language packs for OpenOffice.org

Post by Phil »

Thanks, that's very interesting news, I wasn't aware of that! 8-)

One (maybe silly) question: :roll:
After installation of one (or multiple) language packs, can I switch between the languages (including the one of the initial installation language), or are the language files overwritten?

BR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Phil wrote:Thanks, that's very interesting news, I wasn't aware of that! 8-)

BR, phil
For installed language packs see Tools>Options>Language Settings>Languages, first setting: language of user interface. Nothing gets overwritten. After changing the user interface language you are prompted for a restart.
This setting is *completely* independent from the other language settings. "Default" tries to apply a GUI language according to the operating system's locale. It affects some naming convetions ("Default", "Sheet", "Paragraph" <--> German:"Standard", "Tabelle", "Absatz"), dialogs, menues, tool tips, all the help files. You get the same behaviour as if you initially installed another language version of OOo. Your documents' content is not affected by any means. Editing English documents with a Chinese version should make no difference, assuming an appropriate keyboard setting.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Phil wrote:Thanks, that's very interesting news, I wasn't aware of that! 8-)

BR, phil
Ah well, the reason you didn't know of the first wiki page was because it only went up yesterday.

Also, I added a link to the tutorial Hagrar set up for Spell check and working with languages.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

DrewJensen wrote:Ah well, the reason you didn't know of the first wiki page was because it only went up yesterday.
In fact I didn't know of the language packs at all. :oops:

Indeed my question was silly, :roll: I could really have found that - anyway thanks Villeroy. 8-)

One more question: What if I have initially installed the German localization and I would additionally like to have US English (i.e. the standard localization) for the user interface. Is there a way to do that?

BR, phil
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

Incidentally, there's some language download (and other) statistics here:
http://tools.services.openoffice.org/da ... Downloads/
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

huw wrote:Incidentally, there's some language download (and other) statistics here:
http://tools.services.openoffice.org/da ... Downloads/
One thing to keep in mind when you look at those graphs - the different Native Language groups need to make a change to their download page for the tool to break out the numbers for that language. Currently only, TTBOMK, only the fr, de, nl groups have done so. For those that have not done so yet the numbers just roll up to en.
NoNtiveLngPks

Post by NoNtiveLngPks »

Where's the OS neutral language packages? OOo appear on more and more platforms, but one can't get new language packs easily. :evil:

I'd like to see OS neutral language packages not tied to a specific installer. It would be most welcome to us that want to use several languages that we'd get ONE OS neutral way to install language packs and not several installers tied to each specific OS. Everyone should be able to use the same files and OOo should load and use the language packs itself.

Ohh, and the when the OS itself has to be mentioned (Windows/Mac/Linux/etc.)... use a variable! :!:

Why have OOo not used that approach since there are more than Win, Mac and Linux out there :?:
When do we get the possibility to download and install such things :?: :!:

mvh / MfG / Wkr
Swedish / Deutsch / <English>

//NoNtiveLngPks
=======
Get rid of Native Language Packs Now
in
Mozilla and OOo
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

NoNtiveLngPks wrote:Where's the OS neutral language packages?
If it could be done easily, I guess that it would have been done already. Why waste manpower if it's not necessary?

You should ask about that directly to the devs by filling an enhancement request: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
NoNtiveLngPks

Post by NoNtiveLngPks »

Hmm, ok, thanks.

I'll see what I can make from the link you suggested.

______
Ohh, btw, it's very convenient in Firefox if one know where to get them, just browse the .xpi file and voilá, install the addition. Mozilla should add languages to the download page as well so one can get them easily.
======

Hope that OOo can get that too, though I guess the OOo developers rather use .jar-files :-/

//NoNtiveLngPks
Software Tester of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system including:
* MRP, MRPII and ERP
* Time Calculations
* Accounting Systems
* Payroll Systems
specialized in Electronic Data Intercommunication, transactions and automated tests.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The directory for version 2.4 language packs:
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/extended//2.4.0rc6/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
NoNtiveLngPks

Post by NoNtiveLngPks »

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, but there' one HUGE problem. They're not OS-neutral Language pack, which mean they're not useful. :cry: Please provide OS-Neutral Language packs, 1 package for all instead of several just because they're wrapped in installers. :!:

mvh / Wkr / MfG
//Jan-Erik
Software Tester of ERP System for manufacturing companies.
Material Planning System (MRPI), manufacturing and commercial activities (MRPII) etc.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

There are no such packages and there might be a reason for this.
Stop spamming your foolish demands! This is a user forum about OpenOffice.org rather than developer forum about Mozilla software.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

For anyone else looking, it may be worth pointing out that language packs are available from other mirrors also. They are in the 'extended' subdirectory.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Or after a while, they can be in the /localized sub-folder also instead of the /extended/...RC subfolder.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Why on earth don't the files go into the 'localization' folder in the first place? :o
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
incomplete

Post by incomplete »

Hi. I would like to know where I can get the language pack for Windows Vista. I tried the following link:

http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/exte ... ack_ja.exe in vain.

Is there any other places to get the language packs?

Thank you.
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

incomplete wrote:Hi. I would like to know where I can get the language pack for Windows Vista. I tried the following link:

Thank you.
Version 2.3 is outdated. From your link I cut off the old directory and brosed from http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/extended/ and found this file which hopefully matches your requirements: http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/exte ... ack_ja.exe
incomplete

Post by incomplete »

Villeroy wrote:
incomplete wrote:Hi. I would like to know where I can get the language pack for Windows Vista. I tried the following link:

Thank you.
Version 2.3 is outdated. From your link I cut off the old directory and brosed from http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/extended/ and found this file which hopefully matches your requirements: http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/exte ... ack_ja.exe
Thanks. I manage to get it installed, but do you mind guiding me to using Jpn in text writer? Thank you very much...
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Tools>Options... Language Settings>Languages: User Interface: Japanese
Restart the office and enjoy Japanese menus, names and help files.
incomplete

Post by incomplete »

I managed to do it, but looks like I missed something. How to type the doc in Japanese? Cuz though everything is in Jpn, the text is still in Eng.

(And can you give me a link to a (simplified) Chinese language pack as well?)

Thank you.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Oh, I apologise for my euro-centric point of view. I'm not at all familiar with Asian languages, but I believe that Tools>Options...LanguageSettings>Languages: [X] "Enable Asian languages" allows you to pick "Japanese" in the same dialog below "Default languages". If you have the right fonts installed, everything should work now. But I don't know all details due to my lack of understanding.
[Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration is also written by a long-nose, but it provides some useful hints for the next version 3.0 which will be released this month. Feel free to add your own contribution to this tutorial. A link to more tutorials

In the same directory http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/extended/2.4.1rc2/ where I found package OOo_2.4.1rc2_20080529_Win32Intel_langpack_ja.exe you can find the Chinese packages. Search that directory for "langpack_zh" or "zh" for everything in Chinese.
incomplete

Post by incomplete »

Yeah. I did that already, but it still didn't work. Never mind. I'll try to look around for the solution. Thanks a lot for your help.
incomplete

Post by incomplete »

Looks like I failed. If anyone out there who managed to do it, please share it with me. Thanks...
incomplete

Post by incomplete »

I got it. The problem does not lie with open office. Sorry for the confusion.
mikeymikemike

Post by mikeymikemike »

language pack link to change User Interface is outdated: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... guagePacks

For OOo 3.0 I've found the English language pack:
http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html
TomTinker

Post by TomTinker »

I checked the list of language packs, and there is no language pack listed for US English! Where can I get a language pack for US English?

Tom
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu 7.10
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hi Tom and welcome to the community!

indeed, language packs for en-US are missing for OOo 3.0, whereas they are available for OOo 2.4.2.
I cannot explain why this is. :?

So a workaround would be to install the en-US version and then to add the language pack that you need.

Regards, phil
markandrew

Post by markandrew »

For version 3.0.0, I think Mikeymikemike has found the installation pack in English at the address he gave, for the English language pack to add on to an already installed version, one needs to go to http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/extended/3.0.0rc4/ and then scroll down the list on that page to find the file named OOo_3.0.0rc4_20080930_Win32Intel_langpack_en-GB.exe (or the appropriate pack for your OS, eg Linux, Solaris etc) and click on that.

For those who've got version 3.0.1, the place to go is http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/extended/3.0.1rc1/, and for those who still have 2.4.2, it's http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/openoffice/extended/2.4.2rc1/, looking again for the appropriate language pack for your OS.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
jerojero

japanese language pack for OpenOffice.org 3.01?

Post by jerojero »

Hi people.
After unsuccesfully 3 hours googling for a JAPANESE LANGUAGE PACK to add to my (US-english) OpenOffice.org 3.01 now I bet for help.
Thanks in advance
OOo 3.2.1 on Ms Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit