[Solved] Problems with New Zealand English spellcheck

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mukiduk

[Solved] Problems with New Zealand English spellcheck

Post by mukiduk »

I am using Open Office 3.0.0 and my spell check does not work, I have tried all the suggestions in this page http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=16512 but I am still having trouble. My spellcheck icons on the toolbar are active as you can see below.

I am using New Zealand english so I don't know if this is the problem. The spellcheck works fine in my Thunderbird Email program. When I am typing, it does not underline incorrect words and if I click on the 'abc' button, it just comes up with a dialog box that says "spelling none" and a small box inside that says "the spellcheck is complete" and does not allow me to alter it in any way.

I have tried to remove all formatting by clicking on F11 and this comes up
If I right click on default and click modify that then the font tab, it has English New Zealand in the language bar but no blue tick. How do I get it to put the tick in there and will this make the spellchecker work properly at it does in all other programs on my computer.

I have tried clicking on tools/language/for all text but there are no ticks in there either.

Any help would be appreciated because I am stumped.

Thank you,

Allan
Toolbar.gif
Toolbar.gif (2.8 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
Open Office.gif
Open Office.gif (9.45 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply. (TheGurkha, Moderator)
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu
Hagar Delest

Re: Problems with New Zealand English spellcheck

Post by Hagar Delest »

mukiduk wrote:If I right click on default and click modify that then the font tab, it has English New Zealand in the language bar but no blue tick. How do I get it to put the tick in there and will this make the spellchecker work properly at it does in all other programs on my computer.
Hmm, I think you should read again the 2 first posts of the guide above.

Note that by "all other programs on my computer" it means OOo programs, nothing else.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mukiduk

Re: Problems with New Zealand English spellcheck

Post by mukiduk »

I have solved this problem myself but I am afraid that the forum did not help me much.
When I post a question, I need a specific answer to my problem, all I got was general ideas of where to find help; I though this was the place.

I downloaded OO3 from the net and realized that the nessessary dictionary was not downloaded with it. I went into the OO home page and downloaded the New Zealand dictionary and it now works fine. I don't know what dictionary Thunderbird is using but it works ok.

Thank you anyway.

Allan
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Problems with New Zealand English spellcheck

Post by Hagar Delest »

mukiduk wrote:When I post a question, I need a specific answer to my problem, all I got was general ideas of where to find help
The first post of the guide describes exactly what your problem was (no extension for the dictionary). We have made tutorials because such question are very very very frequently asked. So if you can't find the relevant information in a forum, then, you need a customer service. And This is not a customer service.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
CrocNZ

Post by CrocNZ »

I'm sorry, but I can make no sense of this at all. I have the exact same problem as the original post, I have followed all the instructions that I can find, and now I see this:

"The first post of the guide describes exactly what your problem was (no extension for the dictionary)."
Guide? Which guide?

This is sounding as condescending as a Microsoft "Help" forum - one of the finest examples of an oxymoron you could ever find - and it's the major reason that I decided to try Open Office again on this new computer.

My current workaround is to use the Australian English option. Fellow New Zealanders will understand my discomfort with this...
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The "guide" that is mentioned is the topic linked in the first post above - for your convenience so you don't have to scroll up, it is [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice. but simply shown above as viewtopic.php?f=74&t=16512

You might also find [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration to be a useful resource. If you haven't already got the NZ dictionary extension, see https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... dictionary

If that doesn't help, perhaps you could provide a little more detail about what is happening and what steps you have tried to resolve your issue.
 Edit: Fix troubleshooting link 
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
CrocNZ

Post by CrocNZ »

Thank you robleyd. The link in your post doesn't work, but the one in the O.P. does - and yes, I had been there earlier today before finding this topic.
"Do you see the blue check mark in the general settings panel?
Yes ⇨ Continue to next post
No ⇨ Make sure you have closed OOo, the Quickstarter (OOo icon in system tray) and restarted OOo."

NZ English is listed, but there's no blue check to the left of it. And that wasn't helpful - I have closed OOo many times in the months since I first installed it, and the spellcheck has never worked. It's just that today I really wanted to use it because I've had an operation on my right wrist and I'm very clumsily typing with my left hand. Also there are quite a few OOo documents of various types open that I'm working with right now. Which is why I am here.

(As an example of my frustration after the operation: while typing that, with the fingers of my one good hand moving from side to side all over the keyboard, somehow, without the slightest idea how I did it, a new tab opened and I was suddenly in the Chrome language settings! New Zealand English is listed there, but the switch to turn it on won't operate. UK English will have to do for Chrome until I can figure that one out too...)

When I installed Open Office, I'm certain that I would have specified where I lived, and made sure the correct dictionary was loaded. I'm pretty sure I specified the download that included dictionaries. (It asks you, doesn't it?) Australian English is much better than nothing, but I would never have specified it when I installed OOo; and until I found how to turn it to Australian today, spellcheck was never functioning at all. There has never been any warning that spellcheck might not work.

Next, the Tutorial you linked to was way more helpful than the forum page - because it actually bothered to explain that the absence of a blue check mark means that the dictionary isn't installed. However, navigating to the download page, I found this: "This extension was not updated recently. It might not work with latest versions of OpenOffice."

Oh, well, I'll have to get all my work done, save and close everything properly, wait for the next stupid Windows Update to happen, hope it doesn't create mayhem this time, then try to download the OOo NZ dictionary...

Thanks again - I will reply with the result, but it may be a few days.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

The only options for languages in the download are English [US] and English [British] and IIRC they only contain the US or GB dictionaries - anywhere else English speaking needs to download an extension for their regional version of English. My English dictionary extension includes Au, CA, GB, US and ZA; NZ apparently deserves its own extension.
As far as the extension being not recently updated, see also the user feedback on the right of the download page for Compatible with OpenOffice 4.x? which seems to be 100% positive. Just download it and try - it installed successfully for me.
Australian English is much better than nothing
Thanks - I think :shock:

As an aside, I'm wondering what the difference between AU and NZ might be ?? Words like pakeha ?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
CrocNZ

Post by CrocNZ »

Thanks. Yes, there will be few real differences apart from idiom, which is usually well understood in both countries, and a growing number of Maori and Polynesian words that are coming into common use in NZ.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I suggest you use whichever dictionary is closest to NZ, and add local spellings to a user dictionary.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS