Can't find OpenOffice download for British English

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
dosfreak622

Can't find OpenOffice download for British English

Post by dosfreak622 »

I live in Australia and while I know the Australian dictionaries are available for spell check in writer, I want the software menu system and dialogue boxes themselves in my language. British English is identical to Australian English for the purposes of the user interface.

I want to download OpenOffice 2.3.1 for Windows. As I am on dial-up, I don't want to download >100MB unnecessarily. When follow the standard links from http://www.openoffice.org I get to http://download.openoffice.org/2.3.1/index.html which says,

"You will be downloading the US English version of OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org is available in other languages as well."

Does the US download contain the option for English (UK) user interface? If not, where can I download it? When I click for other languages, I can select from Albanian through to Welsh, but no English variants are listed on the web page. I know the feature exists (or at least existed) in earlier versions of OpenOffice that I used, and it is present in OpenOffice 2.3.0 for Linux on Gentoo. I find this page confusing.
TerryE
Volunteer

Re: Can't find OpenOffice download for British English

Post by TerryE »

The std US English English release also includes UK English. It's the one I use. If you are on dial-up, I assume that you are using some sort of download manager as this will take 3-6 hrs. The alternative is to buy a PC mag with DVD resources as many include the latest OOo release. See other pists on this issur.
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

You can also buy the software on cd from various vendors. I recommend ondisk.com
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
dosfreak622

Post by dosfreak622 »

Thankyou for your replies. I will start downloading the US English website. My dial-up doesn't drop out and I use 'wget' as my download manager.

Should the website instead read the following?
"You will be downloading the US English and UK English version of OpenOffice.org..."

When I confirm it from the download I will try to forward that suggestion.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Until 2.0.2, there was a British English version. After that, the version was broken. The workaround was to merge the two English versions, as indicated in this issue. You will probably find that the user interface is in U.S. English. In what sense the versions are merged, I do not know. There may be an en_GB dictionary.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

Kingfisher is correct. The font dialogue box talks of font color, but the dictionary is still en_GB, so in writer color is correctly treated as a spelling error.
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.