[Issue] How to set a common user-defined dictionary

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

[Issue] How to set a common user-defined dictionary

Postby ArqFaim » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:41 pm

On a multiple user Windows XP SP2 setup of OOo 2.3:
Is it possible for users to share common user-defined dictionaries (standard.dic, etc.) while keeping their ability to add new words?
How do you setup/workaround this?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
WinXP+OOo2.3
ArqFaim

Re: How to set a common user-defined dictionary

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:13 am

Create a new custom dictionary in Tools>Options>Language Settings>Writing Aids. Then move it from the user profile (\Documents and settings\<user_logged>\Application data\OpenOffice.org2\user\wordbook) to the main installation folder \Program files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\share\wordbook\your_locale. Make sure all the users have the write permission on it.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 19.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby ArqFaim » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:25 am

Thank you for your reply Hagar de l'Est.
I tested this and it almost works :roll:

If all users share the same User Inteface Language/locale there is no problem, it works as it should.
If users have different User Inteface Language/locale settings they only have access to the respective locale user dictionaries. That is a problem when:
    Someone is editing a portuguese (pt) document on an english (en-US) UI cannot spellcheck with dicts in \OpenOffice.org 2.3\share\wordbook\pt
    Vice-versa someone editing en-US doc on a pt UI cannot add or search terms on dictionaries in ...\wordbook\en-US
In short, locale dictionaries seem to respect/react to user interface language and not to document language.
Should this be logged as a bug or am I somehow mis-using it?

More info on debugging:
I tested with wordbooks set to apply for [All] languages.
Tried placing dictionary in \OpenOffice.org 2.3\share\wordbook dir. Wasn't found.
WinXP+OOo2.3
ArqFaim

Postby Hagar Delest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:18 am

Ah, I'd not thought about that. I think, you you should subscribe and vote for that request (up to 2 votes per issue) : Issue 70333 - Retain Tools->Options->Paths->User-defined dictionaries.

If it had been under Linux you could have made links to the folders but in XP I don't think it works.

I tag your thread as Issue.
AOO 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 19.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Re: [Issue] How to set a common user-defined dictionary

Postby ArqFaim » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks for the help Hagar de l'Est.
Issue 70333 was closed and made redundant by Issue 80286 - Use single multi-path for dictionary pathes and work has started on this issue already :mrgreen: . If I understand it correctly this will create a setting to tell OOo where to look for dictionaries that apply to the current task. They are pointing to OOo 3.0 to implement this multi-path setting.

While I wait for OOo 3.0 I'll try a workaround I'm convinced should work:
Keep a copy of the user dictionary on each ...\share\wordbook\your-locale dir and have a File Synchronizer app monitor the changes and update the copies. If adding to the dict is a rare event then conflict problems should also be very rare.
WinXP+OOo2.3
ArqFaim

Re: [Issue] How to set a common user-defined dictionary

Postby Villeroy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:22 pm

Under any operating system other than Windows, symbolic links would do the job. No need for a sync tool.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting