[Solved] Installing with multiple users

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
danomene

[Solved] Installing with multiple users

Post by danomene »

Hello,
I'm trying to install OOo on a windows XP machine with multiple users (some limited and some not) and I'm not able to get the machine to do a multiuser install. I try to add the -net tag to setup, but it keeps giving me an error calling it an "Invalid command line argument." When I try to run OOo on an account other than the one it was originally installed on a box come up that has an OK button, but that is it. Has anyone seen this, or know how to fix it?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Re: Installing with multiple users

Post by AndrewZ »

danomene wrote:Hello,
I'm trying to install OOo on a windows XP machine with multiple users (some limited and some not) and I'm not able to get the machine to do a multiuser install.
Which version of OpenOffice.org?
I try to add the -net tag to setup,
If I remember correctly, that's just for the ancient OpenOffice.org version 1.0.
When I try to run OOo on an account other than the one it was originally installed on a box come up that has an OK button, but that is it.
No text in this dialog box?
or know how to fix it?
The users will at least need access to write to their own application data profile directory. For troubleshooting, you could try it with a user with admin access.

In my experience with OOo 2 on Windows XP (at an office), it does not require special installation for multiple users. I used these instructions for the automation part:
http://wpkg.org/OpenOffice.org_2.x

For comparison with OOo 1.1.5:
http://wpkg.org/OpenOffice.org_1.1.5
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
danomene

Post by danomene »

Sorry for the missing info. I was installing the latest version, 2.3.1, I believe. And no, there was no text in the box that came up, other than a button labeled "OK." The name on the top bar of the window said "OpenOffice.org ..." and the window could not be expanded. Pressing OK does nothing.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

Are you doing the install as an admin user?
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
danomene

Post by danomene »

Yes, I was using the admin account to install. I just managed to do a work-around (not a true fix, but I got the result I needed) by installing OOo on an admin account (other than the primary one) to a different folder than the standard program folder.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

Could your antivirus program be interfering?
danomene

Post by danomene »

I think that it has to do with how the computer was set up, as the program file folder was not accessible to any account other than the original one.