[Solved] After crash password isn't accepted anymore

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Mike8050

[Solved] After crash password isn't accepted anymore

Post by Mike8050 »

Hey there, I hope you guys can save my life here! After a crash (happen way to often) my password isn't accepted for the *.xls file any more and I'm 100% sure it is right. I'm working in that file since months on daily basis and have only a month old backup. :crazy:
what I've done:
The %appdata% backup has the file but with different ending *.ods and it is 0kb - Opening it leads to an empty document
Checked the autobackup folder
Checked the temp folder

I beg it can be recover somehow
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 6.4.0.3 (x64) on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: After crash password isn 't accepted anymore.

Post by John_Ha »

1. Switch on AutoRecovery to protect you in future - see tutorial below.

2. Stop using the obsolete undocumented .xls and always save as .ods. See [Tutorial] Differences between Microsoft and AOO/LO files for a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp, etc.

3. Take daily backups of important files.

4. Unfortunately, you are saving as a .xls file which makes recovery much more difficult than had you saved as a .ods because an .xls file is effectively a memory dump and AOO does not write a temporary file for it. See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files (follow the .doc instructions) for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.

5. Search the web with xls password for claimed solutions.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Mike8050

Post by Mike8050 »

Thanks but I did all of that before posting. I actually can't stand waiting for support to help me and ask just as a last resort (in the end its massive time wasting with discussing and no solution). I fixed it myself in the meantime following this guy (godsend and thank you lovely being for posting this). https://passcovery.com/helpdesk/knowled ... article=90

As a final note. The dev behind this bug should consider reading some books or look for another job... Note to myself I'm not using LibreOffice anymore and get the real thing. :fist:
OpenOffice 6.4.0.3 (x64) on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The support on this forum is given in their own time by volunteers, on a pro bono basis.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The dev behind this bug should consider reading some books or look for another job...
Wow! There speaketh a giant who has never made a single error in his entire life. We salute you, o hero!

Otherwise, spare a thought for the developer who is probably an unpaid volunteer just like everyone who answers questions in this forum. If you are too cheap to buy commercial software then at least have the good grace to recognise you are using free software written and supported by unpaid volunteers.

By the way - have you submitted a LibreOffice bug report with your findings? It's the least you can do to contribute to the free software you are using. If no-one submits bug reports nothing gets fixed.
 Edit: I have checked.

No bug report has been submitted.

How do you expect it to get fixed? Do you expect someone else to do it for you? 
You are using backlevel LO software (6.4.0.3) and a completely obsolete, undocumented file format which requires reverse engineering. There are many who will say you deserve every problem you get. The web page you refer to talks about an even more back level LO - Version 5.4.3.2 (x64). The current version is LO 7.2.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] After crash password isn't accepted anymore

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:You are using backlevel LO software (6.4.0.3) and a completely obsolete, undocumented file format which requires reverse engineering. There are many who will say you deserve every problem you get. The web page you refer to talks about an even more back level LO - Version 5.4.3.2 (x64). The current version is LO 7.2.
A quick check with LO 7.0.6.2, not even the latest version, shows the bug has been fixed. I saved this XLS file in Excel 97-2003 format using password fred and it opens properly. This format went obsolete in 2007, 14 years ago.

Had you been using up to date software you would not have had the problem.
Attachments
Password is fred.xls
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 145 times