[Solved] Scroll saved download document horizontally

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
H.tompkins@cox.net

[Solved] Scroll saved download document horizontally

Post by H.tompkins@cox.net »

How do you move horizontally a download document?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 3.1 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Move saved download document horizontally

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please elaborate.
What application exactly?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
H.tompkins@cox.net

I SAVE ARCITECTURAL PLANS AS A DOWNLOADED DOCUMENT. WHEN I ZOOM A PAGE TO OBTAIN A CLOSER LOOK AT THE ARCHITECTURAL DETAILS, THE PAGE DOES NOT RE-DIRECT TO THE CENTER OR ALLOW ME TO MOVE THE PAGE HORIZONTALLY. THIS RESULTS IN NOT BEING ABLE TO VIEW A SEGMENT OF THE PAGE I AM NEEDING TO ZOOM.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your shift key is stuck. That makes you appear to be shouting.

You should be able to centre your document or move it to an area of interest by using the sliders that will appear on the bottom and right hand bars of the application.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
H.tompkins@cox.net

There is not a horizontal bar to move left to right the drawings.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We need to have hands on of a small sample file that has the problem.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sliders.png
H.tompkins@cox.net

How do I do this?
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I believe we are missing some important detail here.

Type of file
What kind of files are your downloaded documents? Is it something you acquire from web sources, or do you create them yourself with an online tool for later download?

Application in use
If you are using the Draw component of OpenOffice (which makes most sense foappearing when you post a reply.r graphical content), the sliders should be present always.

Might it be a pdf file? To some extent (possibly requiring additional plugins installed), Draw is able to handle pdf files. Not sure whether this is true for v.3.1.

For PDF viewing you should use a dedicated pdf viewer, e.g. Adobe Reader. Alas, Windows has a habit of disabling installed pdf viewers and making the Edge browser the default app for handling PDF files.

For us to understand the problem better, it may be useful if you could upload a sample file (as RoryOF already suggested) and a snapshot of your entire screen showing how the screen looks when you encounter the zoom/scroll/alignment issue. For the screenshot, use the snipping tool, then save as png file and upload.
How do I do this
If you mean the file upload, you can click the "Upload attachment" tab below the editing pane appearing when you post a reply. Click the "browse" button to open a file picker. After selecting your file, you need to click the "Add the file" button to upload the attachment before you submit your answer.
H.tompkins@cox.net

I am not familiar with the "snipping tool" Please explain this process and how to
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

H.tompkins@cox.net wrote:I am not familiar with the "snipping tool" Please explain this process and how to
If your Windows setup has been sufficiently updated, you can use the newer snip/markup tool instead of the old snipping tool:
  • Hold the windows and shift keys dowh and press S to enable snipping. Release keys again when a shade is applied to your screen and crosshair cursor appears.
  • Click/drag the crosshair to mark the screen area of interest. It will be transferred to a clipboard work area.
  • click on the message appearing over the system tray (where the clock sits on your taskbar). A window opens.
  • Mark up the screenshot if/as required, and press ctrl+S to save to a file.

If that doesn't work, use the old snipping tool:
  • Push the "system key" on your keyboard (on most keyboards that key will have a windows icon printed on it) or click the windows icon on one end of your taskbar (usually far left).
  • When the app menu appears, start typing snip.... The snipping tool app entry should appear in the menu.
  • Click the snipping tool entry. It may have a different name if you have a different language setup on your computer. It should be the only visible entry labeled as "app".
  • Click the leftmost icon in the tool window, labeled New
  • Click/drag the crosshair to mark the screen area of interest. The snipping tool window will be filled with the screenshot you just made.
  • Mark up the screenshot if/as required, and press ctrl+S to save to a file.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

H.tompkins@cox.net wrote:I SAVE ARCITECTURAL PLANS AS A DOWNLOADED DOCUMENT.
Neither Writer nor Draw are very suitable for viewing architectural plans. I would use a CAD system like DraftSight, LibraCAD, AutoCAD etc, or a viewer such as AutoDesk Viewer to view them. All are free.

PDF files are good as an A0 drawing can be zoomed to almost any level of detail.

AutoDesk Viewer views these file formats.
Attachments
Clipboard02.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.