[Solved] Spell checker problem: "Scribens" extension

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
nite hawk

[Solved] Spell checker problem: "Scribens" extension

Post by nite hawk »

Hello
I really like open office writer but part way through one of my books, the spell checker quit, so I was trying to do it manually ..So when i started another book , I re-installed open office writer again, hoping to correct the problem.. IT did not work.. still no spell checker--So I did a bit of research and downloaded "scirben" extension and then went to the tools-options-languages and everything seemed to be in order. BUT the spell checker still did not work, so i tried to re-download office and scriben again, and it downloaded the open office again but it told me that I already had scriben installed... I see the icon of scriben at the top, but still no spell checker.. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get the spell checker working?? I have gone through tools- languages... looked it over there-- I have gone through tools -options-- languages-- still no spell checker...
Thanks
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tag [Solved]
open office 4 windows 10
robleyd

Re: spell chekcer problem

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
nite hawk

Re: Spell checker problem

Post by nite hawk »

Thanks, will check it out ASAP...
open office 4 windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Put cursor in an area that is not spellchecking correctly. On the Status Bar at bottom of the OpenOffice Window, is the correct language shown in the centre? English needs the precise version.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

Hello!
I have been away from the "writer " for a bit, and today I tried to once again pick up where I left off. I checked the link over, and everything seems to be in "working order" except it still does not work.. when I checked correct spelling as i type. everything on the page became red underlined, and i knew that the stuff was spelled correctly, so I went back and unchecked it and things returned to normal, but still no spell checker .. and yes the spell checker at the top of the page is there- not grayed out-and at the bottom of the page. but when I deliberately miss spell a word it does not catch it. It capitalizes properly when it is supposed to, but wont catch the misspelled words.. When I went to the extension page there was almost no extensions for English spell checkers other than scriben. Any thoughts, or is there any other extensions on another site that might work better than scribens.. There was only 2 good reviews, but could not find anything else to download other than South African English dictionary, and not sure there wa a spell checker with that.....
open office 4 windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The main dictionary release for English is at
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... openoffice
nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

I am also having a problem now where when I type the word "The" It automatically flips to THF -- I am not sure how that came about and not sure how to be able to type The word "The"....without it flipping to THF....
open office 4 windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

/Tools /Autocorrect options, and Delete the option for The on the Replace tab.
nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

thank you- it worked- not sure how that came about- The main dictionary- should I un -nstall Scriben and install the main dictionary ? or will it over write scriben? thanks
open office 4 windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Yes, I would uninstall scriben and install the main dictionary I indicated. If you want a grammar checker, I suggest Language tool from http://www.languagetool.org
nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

thanks will check into it ASAP
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

I am trying to un-install scriben, and I cannot find it in my control panel nor in programs, any thoughts out there on how to get rid of scriben so I can install the main dictionary?? thanks
open office 4 windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have no experience with Scriben, so cannot advise specifically. A possibly risky approach is to use some application like CCleaner to remove an unwanted program. Again, I have no experience with hat, as I haven't used Windows in over a decade.

It may be that simply removing the OpenOffice User Profile will do sufficient to allow you install the dictionary.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you installed the extension from e.g. https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... r-scribens you should be able to remove it via Tools | Extension Manager from within OpenOffice.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
nite hawk

Re: Spell checker problem: "scirben" extension

Post by nite hawk »

I have looed through tools extension manager and it just says "click on extension to remove" in the helps section, and that is it, and it is not helpful at all-- I may have it un-install open writer and re-insatll ad see if that works as there is no where to "click on it" in the tools manager, that i can find. it is a weird set up in there
open office 4 windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Spell checker problem: "scirben" extension

Post by RoryOF »

Reinstalling OpenOffice won't help - you need to remove the OpenOffice User Profile, which will probably be sufficient to lose the Scribens extension.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Spell checker problem: "Scribens" extension

Post by Bill »

nite hawk wrote:I have looed through tools extension manager and it just says "click on extension to remove" in the helps section, and that is it...
Help on my system says "Select the extension that you want to remove, and then click Remove." You have to click on the extension that you want to remove to display the Remove button for that extension.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

Tools extension manger does NOT show up like in your description. It does not look like that at all...If it showed up like that it would make things simple...IT is blamk in the middle...
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

I finally got rid of Scriben,and I reinstalled open writer. I went to https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pr ... openoffice
I down loaded th eextension and it came up time after time after time that it did not exist. I then went to "problems downloading" and tried a "different mirror" tried a dfferent release date, and I would get the EXE and then when clicked on- it would repeatedly say =does not exist........Any thoughts?? i checked out the language . org and that extesnoin is connected to Chrome.. not OO.. any thoughts?? thanks.
open office 4 windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

What is the complete name of the file you're downloading? The dictionary is an extension which is an OXT, not an EXE.

The version released on 2021.04.01 is the one included with the AOO 4.1.10 installation.
nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

Sorry just referring to a downloadable file as EXE -----https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-ex ... t/download
Tried to download it many times. even went down the list and tried to download different releases, and every time it would send the file download to my computer, and when I would clip on it a notice would pop up saying that this does NOT exist.. I find it every strange.. I have downloaded plenty, am BAFFLED why every time it says this does not exist...Even with different releases.
open office 4 windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Outside of OpenOffice, does the file actually exist in your Downloads folder as an oxt file?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

Yes it existed in my download files... I will check out the --extension manger not working... ASAP
open office 4 windows 10
nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

I went to the recommended site and read through it, it sounds exactly like what is happening in my situation.. That said I am not totally clear about what the following means, and where one is supposed to put the link------this was on the page- can someone possibly clarify this please?? I a not sure where I am supposed to enter the information.......-------
------That message means that a configuration file exists for an English dictionary, but the dictionary itself isn't where the configuration file says it is. If you have installed an English version of AOO 4.1.4, then resetting your user profile will reinstall the dictionary and its configuration file. To reset your user profile, type %appdata%\openoffice\4 in the Address Bar of Windows Explorer then press Enter. Rename the "user" file that appears in the Windows Explorer window to "user.old", then restart AOO. You don't need to install the downloaded dictionary
open office 4 windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

To reset the profile, there are screenshots here: reset your OpenOffice user profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
nite hawk

Post by nite hawk »

I I finally had time to go through and follow your directions and re-set the user profile. I am one happy person!!!! Currently my spell checker is WORKING!!! As long as it continues to work!!!! You have made my life sooo much easier!!!
"Thumbs up"
thank you very very much!!
open office 4 windows 10