[Solved] OpenOffice crashing

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Robertcott

[Solved] OpenOffice crashing

Post by Robertcott »

SOLVED : :bravo: Why does Open Office crash every time I try to copy something from th Internet and paste it to Open Office writer? Before I updated to latest version I did this with no problem. What am I doing wrong? When it crashes,it tries to recover and them notifies me "recovery unsucessful"!
Last edited by Robertcott on Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.10 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Open Office crashing

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sometimes there are complex layout from the web page that can confuse AOO.
You can paste special and paste as unformatted text, then redo the formatting and insert the pics.

Or try LibreOffice, it may give better results.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Robertcott

Post by Robertcott »

But this was not complex just a letter I wanted a copy of. I used "Word Pad" and it did a good job jor me.
Open Office 4.1.10 on Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

What you think is not complex is not, necessarily the same as being not complex.
Most of the time the complexity of a web document is due to items that are invisible to you, but mandatory for the internet to be able to present the document in the format that you see it in.
Word Pad, by default, automatically strips a lot of stuff from web pages so that you get something similar to that of using the Paste Special option that Hagar mentioned.
The big, imo, difference is that Word Pad/Microsoft uses "intelligent" sensing in order to determine what is and is not actually required.
The Paste Special does not do this. It simply pastes the unformatted text, thus you have to go through and re-add things like Bold, underline, italics.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.