Set default save location for all new documents

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
nonplusultra

Set default save location for all new documents

Post by nonplusultra »

Edit: Split from How do I change the default Save/Save As folder? since this question is not relevant to that topic. 
I have the opposite problem - I want to PERMANENTLY FIX the default save location for all new documents I create, unless and except wehen I manually specify a different location, and even then, to have it thereafter (for all subsequent new documents I create) automatically revert to the same default save-location:

As it is now, the save-to directory always automatically defaults to the last directory I was active in, so that if I open and edit an existing document in a particular directory, then every subsequent new document I create automatically gets saved to that directory instead, until I notice it and manually change it!

How to set Open Office to [of course continue to keep/save existing documents in the directory in which I open them in, but to otherwise] ALWAYS default to save NEWLY created documents to: User Name/Documents - unless I specifically select a different location, but then only when I manually select a different location, and only for that one time; and to otherwise still continue to always, automatically revert to the fixed, default save directory for every subsequent NEW document which I create!

Thanks if anyone can help!
Open Office 4.1.10 on windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Set default save location for all new documents

Post by John_Ha »

nonplusultra wrote: the save-to directory always automatically defaults to the last directory I was active in
That's how it works and it cannot be changed.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Set default save location for all new documents

Post by Zizi64 »

Try to check-in the option "use OpenOffice Dialogs". The behavior of it is different than the Dialog of the Windows.
Click on the image for a better view.
Click on the image for a better view.
The default path for new documents always will be the directory given in the Path settings for MyDocuments.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.