[Dropped] Writer: every word underlined in red

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Hyacinth

[Dropped] Writer: every word underlined in red

Post by Hyacinth »

I can't find a folder named "User" or "user", and a search for "user" finds only "PY" and "OpenOffice.org 1.1 Configuration" files. This makes me unable to rename the "user" folder to "userOLD", per step two.
However, given that step 4 is to rename the user folder to "userNEW", I assume that it means the "userOLD" folder, except that step 5 is to rename the "userOLD" folder to "user", so my best guess is that one of the steps should be to create rather than rename a folder (presumably "userNEW", given step 8 is to delete that folder).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice Writer: every word underlined in red

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Until you find the folder entitled "user", which ought be locatable if you carefully follow the instructions to which Hagar pointed you, do not delete or rename anything - you may cause more harm than good.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Hyacinth wrote:I can't find a folder named "User" or "user"...
To find the "user" folder, paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the Address Bar in File Explorer and press enter. That opens the folder containing the "user" folder that needs to be renamed. Don't use Search to look for the folder. Search may find other "user" folders that should not be renamed.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hyacinth

Writer: every word underlined in red

Post by Hyacinth »

This is not solved.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
Windows 10
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

I shouldn't have to do anything to stop spellchecking. If I wanted spellchecking I would have done something. But the inability to evade incorrect spellchecking is not my fault or the result of any action I took. Yet I suffer the consequences, after already jumping through more hoops so as to use an opensource rather than proprietary software. If the only solution is for me to jump through more hoops, I've already jumped through enough. Why can't software just work?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6
Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Writer: every word underlined in red

Post by Hagar Delest »

That's life. You didn't anything wrong, something just happened and you need to do something. Resetting the profile usually works very well.
I've split your posts from initial topic.

If you need further help, tell us if you managed to reset the profile and then what happened.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Writer: every word underlined in red

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hyacinth wrote:I shouldn't have to do anything to stop spellchecking.
Well, you do because the developers of OpenOffice believed that most people will want the spell check feature, thus it is enabled by default. In my experience, enabling spell checking by default is common in most software today. You can turn off the feature in OpenOffice, though.
Hyacinth wrote: If I wanted spellchecking I would have done something. But the inability to evade incorrect spellchecking is not my fault or the result of any action I took.
Review the incorrect spell checking topic or the language configuration topic or any of a thousand others. You can turn off spell checking if you are unable or unwilling to solve the problem. I am never bothered by red underlining. Bye.
Disable spell checking for a single document
Disable spell checking for a single document
Disable spell checking for EVERY document
Disable spell checking for EVERY document
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).