Weird issue with copy and paste

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
matrixmodulator

Weird issue with copy and paste

Post by matrixmodulator »

Hello since 1 week i have this weird issue where if i open a new open office writer or calc, i can copy something outside and paste it in either of them no problem the first time but as soon as i copy something within writer or calc then i can't copy something outside of them pasted into them it just paste the last thing i copied within writer or calc.

I reinstalled open office and it doesnt help.

I see multiple posts online about similar issue but it's not exactly like my issue and none have a real fix for this.

It was all fine before, any ideas?

This only happens with open office, i can do what ever i want with the basic windows note pad.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Weird issue with copy and paste, pls help :(

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
The usual fix for sudden or weird problems that are only affecting OpenOffice is to reset the User Profile as described in this tutorial
Please note that uninstalling and reinstalling OpenOffice does not touch the User Profile, thus the problem may still lie in the User Profile.
Give that a try and let us know what results you get.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
matrixmodulator

Thanks, i tried it. It seems it does not help at all but now i can select text in another app and drag it in writer or calc, before that was not working.
But copy from another app and pasting in open office still doesnt work. It just paste the last thing i copied within open office
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Are you using a third party clipboard manager software?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I used to have this issue a lot with AOO (no fancy application on my Windows machine, no clipboard manager at all). I had to copy a second time or even to paste the content in another application so that it got "visible" to AOO. I suffered this a little bit with LO 6.4 and now not once since I use 7.0!
I have not checked the release notes to see if the code related to clipboard had been changed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bidouille
Volunteer

Re: Weird issue with copy and paste

Post by Bidouille »

Run Windows 10 in safe-mode and try if still occurs.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

There are a number of strange problems associated with the AOO clipboard which seem dependent on the particular PC being used and on subtle variations in Windows. For example see the confirmed bug Issue 113171 - OO does not paste the text contents of the Windows clipboard - instead, it pastes the previous text copied in OO which I used to experience frequently but which I haven't now seen for years.

AOO's handling of the clipboard is flaky and any software which touches the PC clipboard may cause problems.

In order:

1. Reset your user profile - see Resetting the user profile. Does it stop? Do not copy back \config or registrymodifications.xcu where the problem may lie.

2. Start the PC in Safe Mode. Does it stop? If so, identify the startup program causing the problem.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
matrixmodulator

Zizi64 wrote:Are you using a third party clipboard manager software?
No
matrixmodulator

Hagar Delest wrote:I used to have this issue a lot with AOO (no fancy application on my Windows machine, no clipboard manager at all). I had to copy a second time or even to paste the content in another application so that it got "visible" to AOO. I suffered this a little bit with LO 6.4 and now not once since I use 7.0!
I have not checked the release notes to see if the code related to clipboard had been changed.
I tried this multiple times, it doesnt work.
It looks like it gets the copied text outside of Openoffice only if i don't copy stuff in open office, i can copy outside of openoffice and paste it in open office all day long if i want it works but it stops working if i copy something inside open office.
matrixmodulator

Bidouille wrote:Run Windows 10 in safe-mode and try if still occurs.
If it works, what does this help? I can't run in safe-mode all the time, what would be the next step?
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

It means that the problem is due to some program or driver that runs in full mode, but not in Safe Mode.
The next step (and this can take a while) is to go through the items that start automatically and, one by one, test to see when/if the problem reoccurs.
Usually it's only one program/driver that causes the problem, but, rarely, the same (or similar) problem can be caused by more than one program/driver.
As you identify the program(s)/driver(s) that cause the problem, you should check with the developer of the program/driver to see about updates.
DO NOT trust Windows Update to get all of the most up-to-date versions, with the (possible) exception of Microsoft programs/drivers.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.