Deleted Important Floppy ....... Help !!

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?

Deleted Important Floppy ....... Help !!

Postby slf951 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:52 am

I deleted some pretty important info after finishing some work today.
I always save as to replace the existing stuff with the freshed up info, but must have done something wrong.
After I was done, I went to close openoffice and it asks if you want to discard or whatever, well I hit discard...
I think I usually take the disk out, then hit discard as it is saved and the disk is out of the drive.

Well the question is.... Where would I find my deleted info. I've tried my best and am coming up short.

Thanks, Steve
slf951

Re: Deleted Important Floppy ....... Help !!

Postby FPeters » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:19 am

I always save as to replace the existing stuff with the freshed up info, but must have done something wrong.

With Save As you actually create a new file. Using Save is sufficient if you want to overwrite
the old version anyway. Be sure to enable Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Always Create Backup Copy
to be sure that you always have a copy of the previous version in case you overwrite it in error.

However, this wouldn't have helped with your issue since it seems like you have not saved the
changes to your documents before closing.

After I was done, I went to close openoffice and it asks if you want to discard or whatever, well I hit discard...
I think I usually take the disk out, then hit discard as it is saved and the disk is out of the drive.

That is an erm... unconventional way. If OOo asks you to save or discard, it usually means there are some
unsaved changes, that are lost once you discarded them.

The correct way of doing it would be (assuming you really use a floppy disk for storage):
  • Enable Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Always Create Backup Copy, so you always have one previous version
  • Open the file from floppy
  • Work on it
  • Click Save (not Save as, unless you really want to create another file)
  • Close the file
  • Remove the floppy

Well the question is.... Where would I find my deleted info. I've tried my best and am coming up short.

You told OOo to discard it, so you can assume it's gone.

Sorry
-f
FPeters
Volunteer

Postby huw » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:21 pm

First I would slide the write protection tab on the floppy, to make sure no more damage is done. Then you can try
PC INSPECTOR File Recovery - I've had good luck with their Smart Recovery software for camera memory cards, or Recuva, which seems to be getting a good reputation.

But in future, remember, floppies, like USB memory sticks, are for transporting copies of files, not storing the only copy of them. Always make a backup of important files as soon as possible after making changes, even if only by immediately emailing yourself a copy.
huw
Volunteer

Postby FPeters » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:51 pm

The original posting doesn't seem to be entirely clear. He wrote he hit "Discard", so I assumed
he was referring to the info in his OOo document (which is gone, of course).
"Save as" doesn't delete anything on a disk per se (unless you explicitly overwrite an existing file).

-f
FPeters
Volunteer

Return to Install, Setup and Troubleshooting