ASCII Filter Options

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Rebeccadolanroberts

ASCII Filter Options

Post by Rebeccadolanroberts »

Hi,

I have been working on a document (saved as .odt) since 04.12.20, i went to edit it again and, after pressing the save icon, my laptop unexpectedly shut down. When i turned it back on and tried to open the document to carry on working, it wouldn't just load up as it had always done before, it asked me to select ASCII Filter Options. I tried selecting the suggested ones to open the document back up and it then shows the message; ''Document in Use; Document file is locked for editing by: 'Unknown User'. Open document read-only or open a copy of the document for editing.'' I have tried opening via Read-Only and Open Copy but both produce four full pages of #'s in various orders. Is there any way i can recover the document in it's original form or as it was today when i saved it and before the laptop crashed? Please please help if possible, it would take hours and hours to try and research and rewrite it all.
Open Office 4.1.6
Windows 10 Pro 2004
RoryOF

Re: ASCII Filter Options

Post by RoryOF »

Your file is damaged, beyond repair, because of the computer crash which prevented the file being written to disk.

Look at [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files
for methods of recovering deleted and temporary copies of your files. Do this soonest. You may, or may not, find such files containing some, all, or none of your data.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: ASCII Filter Options

Post by John_Ha »

Rebeccadolanroberts wrote:both produce four full pages of #'s in various orders
See Why is my file full of #####? for an explanation of files full of ######.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.