[Solved] Can't Open Document/Crashing

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
brightraven

[Solved] Can't Open Document/Crashing

Post by brightraven »

Hi. I worked for well over an hour on a very important document which included a table filled with data. I saved it, then went back to input more data a few minutes later and I can't open it. It opens, but then I get the little hourglass icon showing it's working, and a few seconds later, it crashes and OpenOffice just closes entirely. This happens every time, so that I can't access my document. What do I do? This has never happened before. Thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10 Home
Hagar Delest

Re: Can't Open Document/Crashing

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you save in native ODF (.odt for text documents)?
Do you have a backup? Look into the /backup folder of your profile, see [Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
brightraven

Post by brightraven »

Hi.. thank you! I was able to find the OpenOffice files in Explorer, but there's no user file?

Anyway, I was able to access it another, more complicated way. I sent the file to myself via email attachment, then saved in my OneDrive and opened as a Word document. That worked, and allowed me to make edits and print out. Thanks!
Last edited by brightraven on Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10 Home
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you work with AOO, then stick to its native format. If you need to work with MS Word documents (.docx), then buy MS Office. Or try LibreOffice that has a better compatibility with OOXML.
But please remember that OOXML was not designed to be compatible with anything else than MS Office (vendor lock-in policy).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10