Printer advances paper on print command

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Davee33

Printer advances paper on print command

Post by Davee33 »

But no characters print ? Was Ok until a day or so+? ago Other programs print fine
Open office 3.1 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Printer adevances paper on print command

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you export in PDF and then print that file, is it OK?
What printer? What version of AOO? I doubt you use 3.1 as stated in your signature.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

There have been many reports of Windows 10 updates corrupting the printer driver. This affects only AOO and other 32-bit programs because they are 32-bit programs talking to a 64-bit printer driver.

Go the manufacturer's web site and download the correct driver for your printer.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Davee33

Post by Davee33 »

John_Ha wrote:There have been many reports of Windows 10 updates corrupting the printer driver. This affects only AOO and other 32-bit programs because they are 32-bit programs talking to a 64-bit printer driver.

Go the manufacturer's web site and download the correct driver for your printer.
I deleted the printer & added again using original Canon disc which searches out latest files . Still acting the same way on OO & another program
Looked at windows update file & found a security update was installed on Feb 6 (KB4598481) I cannot uninstall it to try if it’s the culprit
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Printer advances paper on print command

Post by John_Ha »

Windows updates drivers on the manufacturers' behalf so the drivers are presumably held by, or called for by, Microsoft. Sometimes Microsoft gets it wrong.

You don't know if the Canon disk is going to Canon to get the correct driver update or is going to Microsoft and getting the wrong update.

It is why I specifically said to go to the manufacturer's website and download the driver there - you then know it is correct.

As you say other programs print OK I haven't suggested checking the ink or asking the printer for a test printout ...

A reboot may help - especially after installing a new driver.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Davee33

Post by Davee33 »

Canon website has no updates for drivers since 9/26/17 Tried a different computer & same printer with canon provided driver & still the same issue
Tied printing after saving as an XLS file still no ink but ok with other programs Also updated to OO 4.1.9 no change
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. What Canon printer is it?

2. Try printing this test.odt file.

3. Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.

4. Reboot.

5. Start the PC in Safe mode - does it now print OK?

6. Uninstall AOO. Rename C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user to ...\user_old. Download AOO from https://www.openoffice.org/download/. Install.
Attachments
test.odt
(11.27 KiB) Downloaded 188 times

Davee33

Post by Davee33 »

John_Ha wrote:1. What Canon printer is it? TS 8120

2. Try printing this test.odt file. :( Tried then changed profile file name ,uninstalled using installer provided by OO , reinstalled , got new profile request , chose new name , statred & still will not print test.odt :(

3. Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.

4. Reboot.

5. Start the PC in Safe mode - does it now print OK? Not tried yet

6. Uninstall AOO. Rename C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user to ...\user_old. Download AOO from https://www.openoffice.org/download/. Install.

Same problem on both machines tried to rollback up windows updates No dates available before las tFeb 6 update (KB4598481)??

PS your dealing with a 77 year old - patience is appreciated
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Thanks.

The Canon TS 8120 is an inkjet so I strongly suspect cartridge problems and, in particular, whether the black cartridge is empty, especially as it is the same on two different PCs. But I am confused because you say other applications print OK :crazy:

1. Try reseating the ink cartridges. Take each one out, check the contacts are clean and put them back.

2. Please print both these files and tell us what happens. Each has black, red, blue and green text and one is a PDF. Do all four paragraphs print as expected?

3. Another test - check the printer manual and print a test page. Does it print OK?

4. I couldn't immediately find how to print a test page in Step 3 on the TS8120 but I did find Printing a Nozzle Check Pattern which fully tests the printer. See Printing a Nozzle Check Pattern and use the Canon IJ Printer Assistant Tool to print a page. Is it working properly?
Attachments
test_2.odt
(17.98 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
test_2.pdf
(26.52 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

Davee33

Post by Davee33 »

John_Ha wrote:Thanks.

The Canon TS 8120 is an inkjet so I strongly suspect cartridge problems and, in particular, whether the black cartridge is empty, especially as it is the same on two different PCs. But I am confused because you say other applications print OK :crazy: 3 cart tried no change. test page looks ok

1. Try reseating the ink cartridges. Take each one out, check the contacts are clean and put them back.Tried new cart reigister good & deep clenaing B4 test page did nothing

2. Please print both these files and tell us what happens. Each has black, red, blue and green text and one is a PDF. Do all four paragraphs print as expected? All print only the colours but If I ask for black mode nothing prints

3. Another test - check the printer manual and print a test page. Does it print OK? Sure looks ok

4. I couldn't immediately find how to print a test page in Step 3 on the TS8120 but I did find Printing a Nozzle Check Pattern which fully tests the printer. See Printing a Nozzle Check Pattern and use the Canon IJ Printer Assistant Tool to print a page. Is it working properly?

Could it be a firmware problem with "trigger "for black ink flow screwed up?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Sorry - I missed your replies mixed in with my questions in your quote.
John_Ha wrote:2. Please print both these files and tell us what happens. Each has black, red, blue and green text and one is a PDF. Do all four paragraphs print as expected?
Davee33 wrote:All print only the colours but If I ask for black mode nothing prints
That is the problem - the black cartridge is not working.

I think AOO uses the black cartridge to print black. However, some programs may print black by using all three colours which is why other programs can print black but AOO cannot.

Your black cartridge is empty or faulty, or the printer is faulty.

Ask on a Canon forum if you cannot fix it. Use the PDF as the test document. It is not an AOO problem.

Davee33

Post by Davee33 »

John_Ha wrote:Sorry - I missed your replies mixed in with my questions in your quote.
John_Ha wrote:2. Please print both these files and tell us what happens. Each has black, red, blue and green text and one is a PDF. Do all four paragraphs print as expected?
Davee33 wrote:All print only the colours but If I ask for black mode nothing prints
That is the problem - the black cartridge is not working.

I think AOO uses the black cartridge to print black. However, some programs may print black by using all three colours which is why other programs can print black but AOO cannot.

Your black cartridge is empty or faulty, or the printer is faulty.

Ask on a Canon forum if you cannot fix it. Use the PDF as the test document. It is not an AOO problem.
Ok found a Canon user with identical problem A workaround allows me to print - if I set paper type to Photo - It uses the smaller black cartridge . does not allow copy direct feature but Multiple cleaning is a possible fix.' New cartridges did not help - Maybe a bad batch? Will try a new one soon Thanks Great effortAlso now found the canon test page does not test the big black cartridge- only the smaller one This is what made me divert from cartridge/print head as the problem[. I will remove &soak print head although I have tried this on other printers & got nowhere/b]
et effort
Last edited by Davee33 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If new cartridges did not help, it might be worth checking the contacts in the printer which touch the cartridge contacts.

Also, if using alternate source cartridges, many recent ink printer updates will not allow the printer work with these.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:if using alternate source cartridges ...
Good point. If the black ink cartridge is not made by Canon, Canon may refuse to use it. It was probably already coded in when the printer was bought.

Printers are sold as loss leaders so as to sell grossly overpriced ink cartridges which is where the profit is made. Printer manufacturers do everything they can to force you to buy their cartridges. I saw something recently that one manufacturer (I forget which) uses a little coloured ink as well when you print black (it cannot be seen) just so as to use up the coloured ink and force you to buy another cartridge.