Calc file not opening anymore OpenOffice 4.1.5

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
dgag8090

Calc file not opening anymore OpenOffice 4.1.5

Post by dgag8090 »

I've been using Open Office Calc for many years to do family budgeting. Today, out of no where, when I attempt to open my budget spreadsheet a dialogue pops up ASCII Filter Options with Character set, Default fonts, Language, Paragraph break. Really hoping that I am doing something wrong, important file to me.
I have a backup of the file, but it is about a year old. I did not update Open Office or anything else that I know of. Any Help is very much appreciated. I have other ods files that are still opening just fine.
Attachments
version
version
When opening my budget ods
When opening my budget ods
Windows 10, Open Office 4.1.5
RusselB

Re: calc file not opening anymore OpenOffice 4.1.5

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
I regret to say that this usually means that your file is corrupted.
Probably due to a hasty or unintended shutdown of your computer.
Read the information in this tutorial and apply the information without delay.
The longer you delay the better the chances of your data being lost forever.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
dgag8090

Post by dgag8090 »

Looks like I am hosed, don't see it in any of the places described, laptop locked up this morning and I forced a reboot, I don't think I had that file open at the time, but that probably did it. Thank you RusselB for the post on how I might recover it, I appreciate it!
Windows 10, Open Office 4.1.5
alangell

Post by alangell »

dgag -- same thing happened to me yesterday evening... same date and time (at least very close to the same time)... I
I am sharing your pain as I also have apparently lost years of very important data. I've gone through all the steps and
cannot locate any copies, backups, zip files... nada,nothing,... bummed out with you.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The moral of the story is that if any file is of paramount importance regular backups should be made to another device such as a USB stick, or better yet to a USB or network drive.

USB sticks are liable to unexplained failure or corruption caused by improper removal, USB hard drives are more reliable. Disk drives, be they hard disks or newer SSD devices can also suddenly fail without warning - the life of a hard disk used be about five years of daily use.

A timed/dated backup regime is good to adopt: you should consider installing the timed/dated backup extension which can be downloaded from

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/e ... amp-backup

Note that you must invoke it separately using its button; it does not replace the standard save mechanism.

It is best to use this before each editing session, but certainly every few editing sessions.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Two other solutions are Tools > Options > Load/Save. Now enable Always create a backup copy and AutoRecovery.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.