[Solved] Help with document recovery

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
cagodfrey

[Solved] Help with document recovery

Post by cagodfrey »

Been working in Word and saving my document off and on. Twice now, the program has kicked me out. When I go back to re-open my document there is nothing there. Nothing there. Is there a way to set up intermittent saving or background saving? Not sure if I'm asking this properly. Hope you all can help me - I've wasted a lot of time working on this document. :D
Last edited by cagodfrey on Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RusselB

Re: Help with document recovery

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
If you are working in Word, which is a Microsoft product, then you'll need to ask your question on a Microsoft help board, most of which cost extra money.
On the other hand, if you are working with Writer, which is the word processor in OpenOffice/LibreOffice, then you can set a timed back-up.
In OpenOffice go to Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -> General
In the Save box on the right hand side of the screen check "Always create backup copy" to make a backup when you open a saved version of your file.
In that same box there's "Save Auto-recovery Information" with a time setting. This is the one that you will want, but having both checked will not hurt.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
cagodfrey

Post by cagodfrey »

Yes, I am using Writer. Thanks for your response. Is there anyway to find out if my file was saved somewhere else?
open office 3.1 on Windows 2020
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Note that the "Save Auto-recovery Information" is only useful in case of crash. It will not actually save the file for you.
Hit Ctrl+S anytime you don't know what to do with your fingers is your best bet.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10