Open odt files from external harddrive on Chrome

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Rebel49

Open odt files from external harddrive on Chrome

Post by Rebel49 »

My Windows 10 computer has died. I'm now using a Chromebook. I wish to retrieve my ODT files from my Windows hard drive. When I link the hard drive to the Chromebook I can see the list of my ODT documents but when I try to open them I get a 'no results' app message. I have installed Chrome extensions such as ODT to DOCX converter but these don't make any difference. Advice welcome please!
Open Office 3.1 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Open odt files from external harddrive on Chrome

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have you installed a dedicated application to read ODF files? I fear that a mere extension would not be enough. Especially if you want to continue to edit them.
There are some topics about Chromebook in the forum, you can search for them (check the sort "By topics" to display the results).
I've also found that one: http://www.linuxmadesimple.info/2020/07 ... ebook.html
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

How are you "linking" the hard drive to the ChromeBook?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Rebel49

Post by Rebel49 »

With a USB to SATA cable. I can see everything listed and can open everything, including jpeg and doc files, all except odt files.
Rebel49

Post by Rebel49 »

Thanks Hagar, I started to look at this and watched a youtube video about the Linux option...but I have to admit that, as an older non-tech person, I found this a bit scary! I think way beyond my confidence and competence.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

What are you afraid of, Rebel49? Typing all those commands? If that goes wrong, nothing will happen. You can copy them, so you don't have to type all those dirty words.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try copying the .odt (etc) files to a folder on ChromeBook using a file manager program, rather than trying to edit them in place on the hard drive using OpenOffice.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

RoryOF wrote:Try copying the .odt (etc) files to a folder on ChromeBook using a file manager program, rather than trying to edit them in place on the hard drive using OpenOffice.
I fear that there is no native application to open ODF files on a Chromebook.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is information at
https://www.linuxmadesimple.info/2020/0 ... 42-on.html
on how to install LibreOffice on a ChromeBook.

LibreOffice will open your .odt files, but whether it will do so on the remote hard disk I cannot say.
Rebel49

Post by Rebel49 »

Thanks for all these suggestions. But I'm now doing a bit of lateral thinking about borrowing a Windows pc with OpenOffice installed, plugging in my old hard drive and then opening the files on the pc. Presumably I can then open and save them in Google Docs?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You've to think about your strategy. Just know that once you've moved to Google docs, appart privacy issue, the fact is that you may lock your documents with Google docs. I've never tried it but what I do know is that there is no Google docs format, the file is in the cloud and you can export it in different formats but it may introduces glitches.

The point is: do you still want a standalone application on your machine to edit your files (your data and your layout)? Or do you accept to have an online application (don't know if you can use Google docs offline), with your data stored in the Google cloud?
Rebel49

Post by Rebel49 »

Yes thanks, I've been thinking about this. I'm happy enough for most of my old documents to be in the Google cloud. A few which contain important and sensitive information I'll be able simply print off hard copies for the time being and then delete them.