OpenOffice closes itself

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
franloplas007

OpenOffice closes itself

Post by franloplas007 »

Hello, when I work with OpenOffice it closes suddenly, and my progress is not saved, but for no reason, I have tried to restart the profile but it has not fixed, any ideas?
OpenOffice 4.1.8
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice closes itself

Post by Villeroy »

Install https://libreoffice.org/ instead of OpenOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
joycesphotos

Post by joycesphotos »

I have had a problem for 2 years with OO closing unexpectedly many times in a single document. It used to be that resetting the profile helped for a while, but today, it does not seem to make any difference. My document, to which I am only adding data in a single column, nothing fancy, has closed more than 2 DOZEN times. This has gotten really old. There are many folks who complain about the same thing, and have for years, but Apache does not seem to know how to fix it. It does not seem to matter what device or operating system (I have Windows 10 on a Dell laptop) but Apache always says the same thing not THEIR problem. My question is, why can't they fix it?????
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As a diagnostic, start Windows in Safe Mode and see if OpenOffice runs stable in that Windows mode.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

joycesphotos wrote:My question is, why can't they fix it?????
Probably for several reasons:

1. I doubt that anyone, not even you, has reported it as a bug. Developers are not mind readers.

2. It is something specific to these few users' environments which causing it. No-one has produced a reliable way which allows anyone - forum members or developers - to track down what is happening. The developers' W10 installations work fine.

RoryOF's suggestion is the first step of the diagnosis to identifying the problem cause.

I have used AOO for 20 years and written tens of thousand of documents and it has never happened to me.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
joycesphotos

Post by joycesphotos »

Read the forum - it is not "a few" users. And I HAVE reported it, only to be told it is "not a problem with the program". Before judging everyone else, you should get to experience the joy of this. I may not have done as many documents as you have, but I have done hundreds and very few for the past 2 years have NOT had this issue. If ou can't help, please don't preach.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Do you want help, or merely to complain?
joycesphotos

Post by joycesphotos »

I would like help, but the last person who answered just wanted to tell me i don't have a problem
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

joycesphotos wrote:I HAVE reported it
Please give the bug report number. For example, I reported Issue 126970 - Lost images while editing a Writer .odt file - two scenarios
joycesphotos wrote: ... the last person who answered just wanted to tell me i don't have a problem
I understand you are frustrated but that is not true. You asked "why can't they fix it?????" so I answered. Please read it again as I said
2. It is something specific to these few users' environments which causing it. No-one has produced a reliable way which allows anyone - forum members or developers - to track down what is happening. The developers' W10 installations work fine.

RoryOF's suggestion is the first step of the diagnosis to identifying the problem cause.
If you want the problem resolved you have two options.

1 Follow Villeroy's suggestion and change to LibreOffice ... and hope it does not manifest itself there

2 Do the diagnostic test RoryOF asked you to do.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You had already posted last year the very same question and in that topic, another user told that is was linked to Touch Screen option in his case.
Thus, you may have a similar issue with an application interfering somewhere. Try with LibreOffice, since its code has changed a bit, it may be better in your case.

BTW, not a bad idea to have complained again, I discovered that the topic you had first posted in was in fact for spam. I've banned the OP.
:mrgreen:
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
joycesphotos

Post by joycesphotos »

Thank you. I kept the info you posted then, and i go through those steps every month or so when the problem becomes overwhelming. Prior to today, they work fine for a while, but today, resetting the profile has not helped. I have not tried changing the extensions files as I am unclear where to find them.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try Windows in Safe Mode.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

BTW, do you save in native ODF? .odt for text and .ods for spreadsheet.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
joycesphotos

Post by joycesphotos »

Hagar Delest wrote:BTW, do you save in native ODF? .odt for text and .ods for spreadsheet.
Yes, I do. It actually seems I have more trouble with spreadsheets than text documents, but it may just be that I do a lot more of those.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There was some time ago a Windows 10 update that caused Calc to crash. This was fixed in a later Windows 10 update, so it is good to check that your Windows 10 is fully updated.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

What happens when you test running AOO while the PC has been booted in Safe Mode as RoryOF suggested? Does AOO work OK?

Tamarino

Post by Tamarino »

I have the same problem. This is 25-08-2023. I do not know what to do. I have restarted, reinstalled .. I cannot reach my files.
open office 4.1.14.win.86
windows 10
Tamarino

Post by Tamarino »

I downloaded libre office and now everything is ok again. Yay!
open office 4.1.14.win.86
windows 10