XLS files open as "read-only"

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
trans4

XLS files open as "read-only"

Post by trans4 »

When I try to open an.xls document from within Outlook using calc, it comes up as read-only. If I do the same thing using excel, the document opens fine. The read-only attribute is not set, so I am lost as to why calc opens the file as read-only.
Corfy
Volunteer

Re: XLS files open as "read-only"

Post by Corfy »

I think it has something to do with the fact that the XLS document is still technically stored within the Outlook program. Excel and Outlook, being both Microsoft products, probably work pretty well together. But Outlook and OpenOffice.org don't necessarily integrate quite as cleanly (heck, any Microsoft product doesn't integrate cleanly with any non-Microsoft product, but that is a different issue). Probably all you have to do is save the file to your computer before you open it, or perhaps do a "Save As" after opening it.
---
Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
OOo 2.4 on K/Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 and WinXP Pro and Home
Repossess your computer!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Anyway, you should never edit a file directly from the email client because the file is saved in a temporary folder and may be removed quicker than you think.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RonIA
Volunteer

Post by RonIA »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Anyway, you should never edit a file directly from the email client because the file is saved in a temporary folder and may be removed quicker than you think.
+1

My wife was in tears after editing a document within an attachment (we use Yahoo mail) and then having the temporary copy of it disappear.
Ron from Iowa, USA