Problem with text document, everything is ####

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Gelatine

Problem with text document, everything is ####

Post by Gelatine »

Hi Everyone.

two days ago I get a problem with text document I work on it, when I try open it there is massage show up about document opinion? And then another massage about locked edits? I can open the text with copy but then everything I wrote before show like this "#####################" and I don't know what to do about it? Please help me, I want to restitution what I wrote without lose it :(
OpenOffice4.1.6
Windows
RoryOF

Re: Problem with text document

Post by RoryOF »

Previous experience tells that your file will be utterly corrupt. Try the methods in this post, as soon as possible, in the hope of recovering part or all of it.

The damage is possibly due to over-hasty power-off of computer or closure of laptop lid, before the file housekeeping has been written to disk. Do not let your computer sleep/hibernate with a document open. When you have formally closed down the computer, wait five or ten seconds before pulling the power lead or closing the laptop lid, to allow the internal buffers of the hard drive flush to disk

As soon as possible try the methods in this tutorial
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

There will be nothing usable in your damaged file - waste no time with it. Try the recovery methods above.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS