My sent documents are getting autoup zipped ???

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Imtom.113

My sent documents are getting autoup zipped ???

Post by Imtom.113 »

I just updated my OpenOffice version to 4.1.7 (I believe this is the latest version available). I'm working in Writer creating a table within a document. I can store it and open it and it looks fine. However when I email it (I've tried using Windows 10 mail and Gmail, what the document recipients get is zipped file. I've never had this issue until I downloaded this newer version of OpenOffice. I've tried storing it as a doc 6.0 file and it is still unreadable. My recipients are not the most computer savvy bunch, so I need to avoid adding extra processes at their end. I've been told by an independent tech person that this may be an Apple / OpenOffice compatibility issue. Aaargh, is there a simple fix for this.... ???

Thanks,
Tom
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: My sent documents are getting autoup zipped ???

Post by John_Ha »

Imtom.113 wrote:I've been told by an independent tech person that this may be an Apple / OpenOffice compatibility issue.
I doubt that. AOO works quite happily on an Apple PC.

A .odt file (and a .doc) is a ZIP file with a standard " PK " ZIP file header so their PC? email client? is probably treating it as a ZIP file and ignoring that it is a .odt or .doc file. Detach the file from the email and try again. If that does not fix it Google for more help. They will need to have AOO or LO or MS Word etc installed to open the file.

As a workaround, send them a PDF file.

See Tutorial: Mac FAQ
.odt file has a standard ZIP "PK" header
.odt file has a standard ZIP "PK" header
Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.