How to transfer things on OpenOffice to USB?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Uhura

How to transfer things on OpenOffice to USB?

Post by Uhura »

Hope someone can help me. I use Windows 10. I don't know what else to tell you but be specific in your questions.
I have written some things in Open Office that I would like to put on a flash drive. Can someone here explain how to do that?
Thanks.
Open Office 4.1.5
robleyd

Re: How to transfer thigns on Open Office to USB?

Post by robleyd »

Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Uhura

Post by Uhura »

That link is for things on File Explorer to USB. How do I do things from Open Office to USB?
Open Office 4.1.5
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

That link is for any "thing", more correctly known as file, on your computer. Just navigate to wherever your OpenOffice files are stored - probably My Documents - as mentioned in Step 1 on that page, and follow the instructions.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Uhura wrote:That link is for things on File Explorer to USB. How do I do things from Open Office to USB?
What do you mean by "transfer things on Open Office to USB"? I assumed it meant "move or copy document files from the computer to USB". That is a job for the file manager File Explorer, not OpenOffice. If you meant "save document files on USB instead of the normal location", then select the USB drive on the Save As dialog when you save the file.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Uhura

Re: How to transfer things on OpenOffice to USB?

Post by Uhura »

No. I am not wanting from computer to USB. The document is not showing up under documents. I go to documents and it isn't there. The only place what I am working on is in is Open Office.
Open Office 4.1.5
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice is not any "place". OpenOffice is a program, a running process which can do certain things with certain files.
The documents folder is a place indeed.
An USB stick is a removable drive with its own files and folders. It is a removable place on its own.

If you want to see the place where the current OpenOffice document is saved, call menu:File>Properties... The "General" tab shows the name of the file and the path (folder) where it is actually saved.

Unfortunately, you are using Windows which makes it extremely difficult to deal with files and folders and drives.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

So you have a file "Letter.odt" that is saved in your documents folder. "Letter.odt" is loaded into the OpenOffice application so you can read and edit that document using this particular program. There exist other programs that can view or even edit the same "Letter.odt". When you call File>Properties from the OpenOffice menu, the actual full path to your document might look like C:\Users\Uhura\My Documents\Letter.odt where C: is the drive (storage device). C: is always built into your computer. It has a folder "Users", "Uhura" is a folder named after your log-in name, "My Documents" is the documents folder of user "Uhura" and the final element "Letter.odt" is a file in that folder. It has the file name extension ".odt" which indicates that it is an "Open Document Text" document, the preferred file type of the OpenOffice word processing component called "Writer". The spreadsheet component of OpenOffice is called "Calc" and by default it produces files with name suffix ".ods". The presentation component of OpenOffice is called "Impress" and by default it produces files with name suffix ".odp".

When you open the Windows Explorer (the Windows program which shows the hierarchy of drives, folders and files), you find your "Letter.odt" under "My Documents" as well as under ther folder path C:\Users\Uhura\My Documents\ when you navigate from the hard drive (C:) down the folder hierarchy Users --> Uhura --> My Documents.

The worst thing that Windows does to its users is that the file "Letter.odt" is displayed as an application icon with the label "Letter" leaving out the file name extension ".odt". The application icon is the same icon as the program that will be started when double-clicking on that file (the default application) while the displayed icon depends on the file name extension which is hidden. You may have dozends of applications able to display a picture file with .jpg extension but the icon shown by Windows does not indicate that this is a jpg picture. It indicates that a double-click on that file starts one particular program. You can freely choose between availlable programs for this file when you right-click the file and choose "Open With...". You may also have different programs to open office documents, different movie players, different programs for the same type of file in general. But the Windows icon always indicates one particular program instead of what the thing actually is. This way Windows users are dragged into the misconception that all their data are associated with one particular commercial product.

This way Windows users that used to work for decades with that crazy system still do not understand the difference between a file type and a program.
On Linux system "Letter.odt" is shown with its full name and the icon of "Letter.odt" represents the file type and not the default application that is started by double-click. I can install LibreOffice in addition to OpenOffice, declare LibreOffice as default program (start LibreOffice when double-clicking on that file) and the file icon remains the same. All my movie files show a movie icon, all my music files show a music icon, no matter which media player is used by default.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Back on topic:
Any files you want to keep availlable for editing should be stored on your hard disk. Typically that is the folder labeled as "My Documents", Many users save everything on the desktop (which is just a special folder with a special appearance as background behind all windows). I would recommend "My Documents" and any subfolders you create therein.

While editing a document that is saved in "My Documents", you are free to call the menu command File>Save As... then point to a plugged in USB stick and save the modified document there. BUT then you continue editing that file while the original file in your personal document folder remains in the old state.
It is good advice to always work with the "master copy" on the hard disk and create a copy of that file on an external drive (USB stick) when you finished working on that file. First you close the file (or whole application), then you use the Windows File Explorer to copy the file from the location on your hard drive to the USB stick or any folder therein.

There are 2 methods to copy a file:
1. Copy the file icon, navigate to the target folder and paste.
2. Drag the file icon to the target folder (USB stick or any folder therein) if you can reach the target with a drag&drop operation.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

And however you do the transfer to the USB device, you _MUST_ observe the operating system's USB device removal protocol, or you run a great risk of corrupting the transferred file.

Details of the operating system's USB removal protocol will be in the O.S.'s documentation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

RoryOF wrote:And however you do the transfer to the USB device, you _MUST_ observe the operating system's USB device removal protocol, or you run a great risk of corrupting the transferred file.

Details of the operating system's USB removal protocol will be in the O.S.'s documentation.
Very good point. Either you see the icon that represents your USB stick somewhere, then right-click that icon and choose something like "Remove" or "Unmount". There should also be a small icon in the corner near the clock where you can also remove the drive. Try right and left click. I don't recall the exact procedure. Doing so tells the system that you want to plug off the stick. The system will finish all operarations on that device and turn the device off. You will get some notification when it is safe to physically remove (pull off) the device.
----------------------------------------
I forgot to mention one thing that I use to do with any Windows PC since 1995:
Open the Windows Explorer that displays all drives, folders, files.
Menu Tools>"Folder Options", tab "View" has an option "Hide extensions of known file types" which is turned on by default. Turn it off in order to see the full names of your files.
nikkky

Post by nikkky »

Select "Computer" from the left pane and then double-click the letter associated with the removable drive. Choose the desired file format from the drop-down menu and then enter a name for the file. Click "Save" to write the file to the flash drive.
Upsers
Last edited by nikkky on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

While working with your document in an OpenOffice window, menu:File>Save As... tells OpenOffice to save the current document at some place other the current place. A dialog pops up where you have to choose a folder.
Then:
nikkky wrote:Select "Computer" from the left pane and then double-click the letter associated with the removable drive. Choose the desired file format from the drop-down menu and then enter a name for the file. Click "Save" to write the file to the flash drive.
After you have done so, you are working on the flash drive file if you continue editing the document. Your original file in the documents folder of your hard drive remains untouched.
Every user of a PC needs to be aware that "OpenOffice"is a program and that documents are stored as files on your file system which itself consists of storage devices with folders. You must not think of OpenOffice as a place. It is a tool, a running process.