Recovery failure

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Pete Morris

Recovery failure

Post by Pete Morris »

Hi. I have had the same issue now at least three times. Whilst working on my book Open Office has frozen. Sometimes it recovers the document but today, and on at least two other occasions recovery has failed and I have lost 1/2 hours' work even though I have been regularly saving my work. On none of these occasions has my tablet crashed. I am using Open Office 4.1.5 on windows 10. I have been saving the doc as Word 97 compatible not ODT. Can my updated file be recovered so that I don't have to start from the version that has been restored?
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Recovery failure

Post by RoryOF »

To attempt to recover your files, try the methods outlined in this Tutorial
[Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files
for ways to try and recover any temporary OpenOffice files that may still be on your computer.

If that doesn't help, then as soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful. You may need to rename any such files to type .doc.

Do the above soonest!

For any important work it is essential to make regular dated backups.

The timed/dated backup extension may be of use to you. You can download it from
viewtopic.php?p=406045#p405921

Note that you must invoke it separately using its button; it does not replace the standard save mechanism.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS