[Solved] My text was erased after pushing save icon

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mickeycaug

[Solved] My text was erased after pushing save icon

Post by mickeycaug »

I have OpenOffice 4.1.6 and I spent 3 days working on an end of year family and friends letter. I pushed the save icon many times while I was writing it. Today I finished the letter but I didn't click on the save icon. It was one and a third pages long. I wanted it all on one page so I highlighted the two pages and changed the font size from 12 to 9. The text all fit on one page which was still highlighted and I clicked on the save icon. Everything I spent 3 days writing was immediately erased and I can't get it back. I was absolutely sick! The letter was supposed to get mailed tonight to all my friends and relatives. Why would pushing the save icon, even if the page was highlighted, cause everything to become completely erased? I started a test document to get print on two pages, highlighted both pages, changed the font size from 12 to 9, it all went to one page and was still highlighted and I pushed the save icon. This time nothing was erased, it was all still there. Is there anyway to get back my original letter? I'm desperate!

Mickey
Last edited by mickeycaug on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice version 4.1.6 Windows 10
FJCC

Re: My text was erased after pushing save icon

Post by FJCC »

If the document is still open, you should be able to press CTRL + Z and get back what you had. With all of the text highlighted, it takes only a single press of the space bar to over write everything.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
mickeycaug

Post by mickeycaug »

I tried so many things that I'm afraid that I might have done something that caused me to lose it completely. I did try pressing CTRL + Z several times, but that did not work. I may have done something prior to that to make it impossible to get it back. But thanks for your help.

Mickey
OpenOffice version 4.1.6 Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Try the suggestions listed under How do find and un-delete AOO temporary files
Suggest you do this before you do much, if anything, else, as the more you use your computer the more likely that the locations of these files will be overwritten by other files.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

May I explain what you did and why it happened.

First, pressing the Save icon while the text is highlighted does not delete the highlighted text. You can easily do a test and prove it. So you did something else.

Second, if you have highlighted anything AND you then press any key all the highlighted text is lost and is replaced by the key you pressed. Try it and see. This is a function of Windows not of AOO. This is almost certainly what you did. Had you immediately pressed Ctrl+z you would have got it back but you then pressed Save so AOO did what you told it to do and saved the empty document you had created.

Third, pressing Undo, or Ctrl+z will undo what you did and get the highlighted text back. Try it and see.

Fourth, if you repeatedly saved it while editing it then you have a chance of recovering the temporary file which AOO wrote when you last saved it properly. Follow the steps in the Tutorial.

Fifth, to prevent this happening again switch on AutoSave and Save a backup copy - the tutorial explains how. Try both and see.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For any serious work we strongly recommend users should make frequent timed/dated backups. Install and use the timed/dated backup extension. This can be downloaded from
viewtopic.php?p=406045#p405921

Note that it must be invoked separately using its button; it does not replace the standard save mechanism.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS