[Solved] Can't open AOO 4.1.7 without Document Recovery

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
tsmayer

[Solved] Can't open AOO 4.1.7 without Document Recovery

Post by tsmayer »

I am very new to trying to figure out why things are happening. I am 70 and really don't know much about trying to fix my program. It has worked fine for years till all of a sudden it wants to do a Document Recovery eveytime I open it plus it saves it with Word and I do not have that program. I have looked for a folder that might need to change the program from default but can't find one. Any help sure would be appreciated.

Any instructions please give them to me in very simple terms :(
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Professional Openoffice Suite 4.1.2 (updated to 4.1.7. HP Laptop intel core 13 processor windows 10.
RoryOF

Re: Can't open Office 4.1.7 with out doing Document Recovery

Post by RoryOF »

See this post for how to set the default program
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=99981&p=481144

The document recovery prompt may be occurring because you are not closing your OpenOffice files correctly. It is best (read: essential) not to let your computer sleep with a file open in OpenOffice; also, use /File /Close or /File /Exit to close your file and/or OpenOffice. Use the proper closedown procedure on your computer (it might be Start Button, Shutdown) and wait a few extra seconds (5 - 10) to let the disk drive internal buffers write to disk before cutting the power to computer or closing the laptop lid.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
tsmayer

Post by tsmayer »

:D :bravo: Thank you for the information. I was able to change the default and than uninstalled the program for Word, restated my computer and when I opened Open Office everthing was back to normal. I don't know how the Word program got onto my computer since I know I would not be buying the program. Thank you for your help
Professional Openoffice Suite 4.1.2 (updated to 4.1.7. HP Laptop intel core 13 processor windows 10.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As I understand it Windows 10 (and updates?) silently push a time-limited version of MS Office.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS